1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dry cylinder mornings

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by icebladez, Jan 18, 2006.

1. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

I know it's a known thing that engines get the most wear upon starting up after a night of sitting.I do something different than most people to baby my engine as much as possible(esp -20 and below)..anyone want to take a guess what i have been doing since '95?(no laughing allowed though,just want to see if some1 gets it! :)

2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Do you have a 350 that sounds like a diesel first thing in the morning? We have three of them and it drives me nuts!

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Leaving it running forever? :D Or just never start it? :D

Hmmmm well besides block heaters, oil pan heaters, etc. and barring getting up in the night to start the truck :sleeping: , how about an engine pre-oiler?

4. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

how about an engine pre-oiler?
    -------
    to work the clylinders only though..keep'm coming...

5. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

put it in the garage!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  6. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

start it every 3-4 hours ?:confused: :dizzy: :drinkup:

7. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

ok that's two "start it often/leave it running"..i am much to savy/lazy for such craziness & i have no garage..still want to see if someone nails it..:redbounce

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I hope your not one of those people who "cold oils" it. I have seen people, usually after an oil change, pull the coil wire and crank the motor to get the oil in the top of the motor. Then reattach the coil wire and start it. Sounds good in theory, which is probably why people believe in it, but this is what I know about it. At starter cranking speed you are not building oil pressure. Yes, you will drag some oil toward the top of the engine, but not the same as with the oil pump distributing it at idle speed. You are probably creating more wear than a regular cold start, but it is likely negligible either way. If you've been doing it that long with no problems, it must in fact be pretty harmless. If it makes you feel good, have at it, but I don't think you're saving any bearing or ring wear. A good Chevy small block will last plenty long enough anyway, so I don't know why you'd want to make it last forever. I have over 250k miles on an 01 6.0, change the oil every 6-10,000 or sometimes closer to 20,000 miles, give or take, whip it like a rented mule every day, and it still runs like a charm and has more nuts than any Ford or Dodge small block. If they will do that with occasional cheap oil changes, I don't see where the expensive synthetic stuff or pre-oiling is at all necessary.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If I pre oil My Mopar engine as I do every year when I bring my charger out of storage it will reach 25 to 30 psi on just the starter. The only other time that pre oiling is necessary is after you assemble a motor and prior to starting it for the first time.
    He probably drains his oil and brings it inside to keep it warm, then pours it back in, in the morning. Tip, get an extension cord Long enough to reach your truck and get your self a block heater..or tune your truck up, it will start better and you woun't have to fool around with it all of the time.... j.m.o.

10. Detroitdan

I was wondering what kind of pressure you could get on just the starter, I've never seen it done on a vehicle that had a gauge. I didnt think a starter could crank enough rpms to get the pressure that high. Maybe I was wrong, because that is certainly enough oil pressure to do the job. I just recently saw a show where they showed GM Performance building a 572 crate motor, and they cold oiled it before firing it, but they turned it with a driveshaft, so I figured it was a lot more RPM than just a starter. It's entirely possible that GMs engineers know more than me... So what kind of RPMs do you think a starter can make, anyway?

11. Detroitdan

I plug my diesel in at night, I have it on a timer so it comes on for three hours rather than waste electricity all night. I also switch to 10w40 for the coldest months, helps with the cold starts. I love the bringing the oil inside at night idea, I never would have thought of that.
    I know a couple guys who turn the key and the instant the engine starts they throw it into drive and put their foot to the floor. It makes me cringe to hear it! They just dont care. One guy had his truck back for a front trans seal, and the other guy had his rear main seal and front trans seal done, both under warranty and both under a year old. When I try to tell them how bad it is on the cold drivetrain, they just laugh and say it wont hurt it. After the seals went, they actually blamed it on the manufacturer, not their own mindless abuse! And they probably wont keep the trucks long anyway, so what do they care.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm not sure about what rpm is reached, but I takes a lot of cranking and It's very hard on the starter cranking it for that long to get that kind of pressure.
    I only do it once a year. It is easer to change the starter than to put new rings and bearings in her.lol
    Idea If I remove the plugs it would be easer for the starter to turn the motor. over. thus saving the starter....duh...:dizzy:

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Put a blanket on it after it cools off some but is still warm?

14. derekbroerse

How about an oil injector? This is starting to sound like too much damn work.

15. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

ok let the dam laughter begin,though i'm sticking with it, i put in premix oil(2stroke oil) at a fill up at approx a 200:1 mix,though i'd never do this on tight newer engines..come on folks does it not makes just a least a little bit of sense..as soon as your cranking..there's instant lube going on,i used to do this in my toyota celica also,i likes it!!Also i only do this when temps get rediculous when you can almost hear the piston just a slapping thos dry clyinders.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: WOW!! just when you thought you heard it all another one makes you shake your head ....roflmao:jester:
    Nice cloud...
    So how cold does it get there any way?

17. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

So how cold does it get there any way?
    --

-63 and counting!!..pants actually freeze into board-like coverings the moment you step out/ice on eyelids after a lenghty 20seconds/upon sitting in the front seat you actually bounce up instead of down..the list could go..as for the cloud,nope none! mixed to lean for that,and never fouled a plug yet..yep laugh your up your minnesota ass,your wear not mine..should you oil pump ever fail..i wonder if laughter will suffice..see i got a dam near engine insurance..a back up seize protecter of sorts,..but crazy? ..just want to squeeze every mile outta my loved chevy! karma's gonna get you snofarmer..i've a exellento trick to keeping the engine running real cool(approx 160 degrees),and not the hood release trick..why bother when openly rediculed,my "don't laugh/let it begin" comments were fictious in nature disguised as.. blah blah..sorry i'm in a pissy mood now..must log off thanks snofamine!!

18. derekbroerse

No laughing here. Honestly, I don't see there being enough quantity of oil being there to make any difference over the straight gasoline. Think about how little fuel is being sprayed per injector... now divide that by the number of cylinders, and divide it again by 200 (your ratio of gas to oil).

If it was a thicker mixture, I'd say you'd be on a road to a carbon fouling problem, buildup, and preignition. However, I think the amount is so slight that it won't have any real negative effect either. It wouldn't smoke at that little, and if it did the cat would eat it.

If you are happy doing it, by all means continue, but I don't see it doing much other than adding an extra $2 to a tank of fuel.

That is brutally cold. I'd be seriously considering a battery blanket and an engine preheater. Anyone ever see those ones that act like a heater that burn fuel to heat the coolant?

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Our lowest temp on record is -60f. Feb,2,96
    I have never lost an oil pump because it was cold outside or for any other reason and if I did there would be more to worry about than no oil psi... The 2cycle oil would make havoc with modern engine emissions.
    I have burned old chain saw gas in my 74 Dodge W200 to get rid of it but thats all.
    Yes, I'm still chuckling..loll:waving:
    You said in your post#15 of this thread to let the laughter begin, so don't be that way. Please tell us your other idea as I have never popped the hood to cool off my truck but I'm listening......

20. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

I'm listening......
    --
    hope your patient..member doesn't seem to exist, only an expierment to see what inner quality was avail,had 7 what i figure geniuse tricks,i just started with the most dense of 'em..Derekbroherse and premierland seem to have been the gold in this forum,i sure i missed someone....TTLU folks..