1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dry cell battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mark Witcher, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have had bad luck with the dry cell batteries. After 3 years and 4 new batteries in 2 different trucks I went back to regular old fasioned acid type batteries. Both trucks the batteries quit by 2 years use. I put another new one in last april and this winter my alternator regulator was acting goofy.Wouldnt charge at idle. Went to auto electric repair shop and they put in a new 125 amp alt. It was better but still not perfect. They told me the dry cell battery are ok if you never draw them down more than 25%. And that the dry battery will ruin a alternator over time. They said if I put a regular battery back in it would solve my problem . And it did. I really didnt quite understand everything they said about how the dry cell batteries cause these problems but , after taking their advce my charging system is working better than new. Bottom line is I wont ever buy another dry cell auto battery.
    Anybody remember the Sears diehard gell battery? I had one of those when they came out too. About the same as above.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

FWIW, I'm working on 6 years with a yellow top Optima with no ill effects.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ahhh drycell do you meen Optima? There not a dry cell, flashlight D cell batteries are dry cell. I had 2 optimas go bad so I went to Excide.:)

4. Mark Witcher

They werent the Optima brand, but two other brands.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I fell for the hype on the Optima as well. I bought a red top last year before the season started and this is going into the second year with it.

I am not happy at all. There have been more then a couple of nights I had to stop plowing for 15 or 30 minutes revving the engine at about 2500RPM to re-charge it.

I just replaced the alternator 2 days ago at a cost of $230.oo. I am not saying it is the fault of the battery but I barely made it home and ran the last 15 miles with no heat and the last 2 miles with no lights.

My 1st check from this last week and I will be replacing it going back to a regular type acid battery.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

2 years on mine with no problems

7. Mark Witcher

The alternator/battery guy told me that the Optima type batteries can work fairly well in average use as long as they never get discharged more than 25%.Once this happens the battery never fully recovers and its a downward spiral. Why is it Optima doesnt have a better warranty if these are so great?

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I heard that you can discharge them 75%
    It's the last 25% that they don't like.
    If you run them dead it can damage them some how.