1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drug Testing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Mar 1, 2003.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

How many of you with employees drug test them? I do ane feel that it is a must, when you have someone operating equipment in the worst weather for long hours.

Geoff

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

After a certain number of employees, random testing is a Federal DOT requirement. I don't recall the number.

When I was a company driver, I was subject to them, and was picked once. I never had anything to worry about, but they would catch someone dirty now and then. Those guys would get an all expense paid vacation to rehab. Makes you wonder.

If I suspected an employee, I'd have no problem sending them for testing. I fired one guy who had the stink on his clothes.

3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Any one that objects has somthing to hide.

4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Out here in the wild west, companies have had trouble getting enough employees to fully staff when they drug tested. Vail Resorts (probably has 2-3k employees) dropped drug testing for hiring. They went to a test only if an accident occured. I don't like the idea of the guy operating the lift and having control of the safety mechanisms being stoned.

I thought that was the one of the most stupid ideas that I had have ever heard. Wait till the damage is done?

Besides the property damage, equipment ops and plow drivers could seriously injure bystanders/

I couldn't get any employees if I drug tested at the brewery (see post about bailing employees out of jail). BUT I wouldn't trust any of them to drive my truck.

Howard

5. captbo

captbo Senior Member

In our company policy it states and the emploee signs, "we reserve the right to test" this makes it legal here in Md and we do not have to hire a facilitate

I get mine from uncle Sam USCG