1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drove a Duramax 2500HD today...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Feb 21, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I was not overly impressed by this truck. It definately had a large amount of power, but it's general "drivability" left a little to be desired. The Duramax is actually louder than I thought it would be too. Everyone was saying how incredibly quiet it was. You can definately tell it's a diesel. I think if you do a lot of heavy hauling, this would be a great truck to own. I don't think this would make a great plow truck though. The one I drove was a long-bed extended cab. It doesn't feel as "accurate" as I would've thought it would. I don't know... just my $0.02

Definately plenty of power though.

2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I drove the big V8 with the allison the other day Wow does that get up and move.I was very impressed,that will most likly be my next truck,that with a 10ft Boss.
  3. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

I just bought that exact same set up and i would have to beg to differ. While it does have tons of power I think it rides great and has a nice feel to it. I have a 99 Tahoe and just drove that and I like my truck better. Diggerman did you try a Duramax? Everyone that hears mine says wow its so quiet. Try listening to a Ford PS or a Dodge Cummins( not to knock these trucks) compared to these the Duramax sounds like a Honda Accord. Just my 2 cents.
  4. bob

bob PlowSite.com Veteran

I drove the Duramax last week and the 8.1 liter, the week before. Both had Allison Transmissions. Both had gobs of power. I thought the Duramax was quiet for a diesel. Sure you could tell it was a diesel, but compared to the Cummins, it was quiet. At idle the engine barely moved. I'm looking foward to testing a 3500 next.
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes... it's much quieter than a Powerstroke. All I meant was that it's louder than I expected. All the rumors I heard were saying that you couldn't even tell it was a diesel. To be honest, it didn't even warm up completely when I was driving it. No cover on the grille or bumper, and it was about 18-degrees here today. I even told the salesman that when he asked me what I thought. He said "Well... take it out for a few hours." I said "No, or I'll be trading my truck in tomorrow."

It is a very nice truck, but for some reason it just didn't feel right to me. I think if I spent a little more time in it, and let it get to it's normal operating temperature, things may be different. Gobs of power though! That beast could probably relocate your house for ya without asking any questions...

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Jrogers I don't buy diesel pickups,I strictly do gas.I'm sure it is just great.
  7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I drove one yesterday; No intention of buying one since i have all dodges (and an 01 Cummins that I drive)in my stable and one F450 but, I did like it, although, Chevy Dealer was concerned about putting a plow on a extended cab... He didn't say it would void but could be an issue when looking for work to be covered
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Tim,when i drove one i found an empty lot,and acted like i was plowing it,the salesmen asked what i was doing.I didnt like the time it takes for the allisonm to change from reverse th forward,and reverse is to low.Steering radius is ok,still not as tight as Dodge though.It is a powerhouse thoug,the tranny seems very busy shifting a lot at lower speeds that im always running,very annoying,its seems to be between gears as much as its in a gear.makes me think it wont last as long as the 4l80e.Diggerman,Id pay to see that IFS with a 10 ft Boss plow-they bottom out with an 835 lb Fisher-couldnt imagine how it would look with a medium duty plow on it made for 16000GVw trucks!My dealer has timbren boosters on the new hd he's selling with a 8 ft fisher,he said it was bottomed right out without them,it was only a 6.0 which is light and had the plow prep.
  9. Shack

Shack Junior Member

Boy, you plow guys sure do speak French to me.
  10. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

If I do it I'll be sure to send a picture.
  11. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

I would get one

I would get one, but I would like to wait a couple of years to hear how the others do in them.....
  12. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

I like chevy trucks, but I drive a ford?????????????? why.

I was literally just at my local GMC dealer he has a 3/4 ton hd 4x4 with auto and diesel coming in I asked him the price Cash. 32,957. In a base level trim, cruise tilt delay wipers am fm radio. I asked again what the price was and he quoted list again, He said these trucks are 6-10 months out on all orders, and that it is list price take it or leave it I just can't imagine any truck worth list price when the other two make an equivilent truck for 3-5K less up front depending on the dealer.

Anbody else have any thoughts.
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The major difference in pricing is with the drivetrain. That allison is pricey, and since the other two cant offer one, naturally they will be lower priced. I think it is worth it IMO. But I will wait till the current truck is payed off, which is later this year.
  14. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Just buy one and get it over with. I need something to run my sloowww Ram against anyway...LOL We got 4-5" of powder last night.