1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drove a 06 chevy and 09 ford.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Friend has both trucks. Bought new. Went ford on the 09. Both diesel. Both 4 door. Both 3/4. The chevy has 168K on it. Ford has 78K on it.

We were helping him on a jobsite and he had both trucks there. I drove both to and from, pick up stuff, load trailer etc.

Bottom line - the chevy just seemed alot more solid. The ford felt sloppy, the seats, the shifter, just really everythhing about it. For being an 06 with 168K the chevy felt great. Shifting, tranny, only complaint from me would be the seat - seems to loss or lost all its support.

Just my 2 cents worth tonight.
  2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Hop into a newer Ford vs a Chevy. Bet you wont say the same. I have a 8.5' x 20' enclosed landscape trailer I tried to hook it up to my GM last week. Suspension just keeps going lower and lower and lower. Even used a 3" rise I have airbags on that truck with 40lbs in them it might carry it.

The ride is not harsh in my Ford but the GM is too much like a boat.
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I think the '03-'07 seats were some of the worst seats/back support ever put into silverado. I had an '03 HD & was one of the reasons I got rid of. Maybe one's with power lumbar were slightly better. I always put used a small lumbar cushion whenever I drove. They must have designed these for a hunchback.
  4. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

My 04 1500 seats are awesome. Of course thats up grading from a 94 singal cab f150, then to a 2000 singal cab chevy 1500. I love my chevy, when I look for a new truck it will be tough to decide between a ford/chevy
  5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Glad you like yours. It may depend on body anatomy. But I first had an '03 1500 with manual seat then '03 HD with power bottom seat. The power bottom did help to adjust fatigue but the back is what I didn't like. I remember the early 90's Ford's seat comfort was not the best either. I thought Superduty's had great seats. Even though I now own an '09 HD.
  6. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

All bought new:

My 04 Chev HD25 LT power seat felt great to me
    My 07 Ave LTZ power seat was good
    My 11 GMC HD25 SLT power seat is good

I miss the 04 seat - I guess each butt / back has it's own likes ...

My 98 & 2003 Lincoln's seats killed my back lumbar area
  7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Although you posted your opinion (which we’re all free to do) and you certainly took some time to think about it, I’d suggest something was missing – science. For instance, your thoughts about certain aspects of each truck are certainly valid opinions, but we don’t know anything about the history of each truck. I’ve seen trucks that were well maintained with 100,000 on the clock that absolutely drove like new. On the other hand, I’ve seen trucks with 20,000 miles on them that had the snot beat out of them. Guess what they felt like? And miles aren’t always a good benchmark anyway. Highway miles are a heck of a lot easier on a vehicle than plowing miles for instance.

On a somewhat related note, I have a friend who’s a life long Ford guy who would never say anything bad about a Ford – no matter how stupid the problem is. Oh, but can he slice and dice up any other brand for every little problem. And just to be fair, I have another friend who believes GM never does anything wrong – and can recite chapter and verse how and why Ford and Dodge products are junk. Truth be told, neither one is 100% correct. Both are slaves to their paradigms and will never change.

So I’d suggest that what you have posted is a combination of casual observation and personal opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.
  8. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

I have a buddy that says he's looking for a truck with "a Cummins engine, Allison transmission, Ford interior, and Toyota brakes"!
  9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Every Chevy I've driven felt sloppy. Cars and trucks alike. Weird.....
  10. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Not sure but everything is pulliing miles for these two trucks of my friend. But yes just a few miles and wind shield time in both. I have to say though with the 24 enclosed full of tools, the ford sags alot more than the chevy. Even today with the new ones - I sit side by side a 2012 and he looks to sag more in the rear end than I do. But yes just observing my driving, the handling of each truck, loaded, unloaded, up hill, down hill, wind. Fuel I really didn't watch so cant say much there. But in the end of the day, I guess a 60k truck is a 60k truck no matter what brand you get.
  11. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Its funny man everyone has there opinions but im with you on this one. Ive always owned chevrolets but tried a 97 powerstroke turbo diesel f-350 single rear wheel.... It was a single owner truck when I bought it with just over 100,000 miles on it. The shifter was soooooo sloppy so had all that garbage replaced. its got 2 years of use out of it and it does get the hell shifted out of the auto shifter but its all sloppy again and needs work done. Ive got chevy trucks that have 5 times the amount of shifting and there still great..

As for breaks, Ive heard the fords have come a long way but holly crap even with brand new brakes my ford brakes suck. once again our chevrolet brakes will put you through the windshield even with trailer on with many many miles on them.......

I wanted to like the ford fellas but to date ive had hardly any problems with our chevy trucks and as soon as I buy the bullet proof ford with 7.3 its cost me money since day one...... and it still sucks to drive....