1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dropping plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve in Pa., Jan 22, 2004.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

Is there any way to speed up the drop of a plow? We have a 7'6" western on a 89 Ford. When the plow is dropped it seems like it takes forever to drop. Thought maybe it wasn't heavy enough, so considered maybe putting weights on it? Is there an adjustment or something to make it drop faster? my brothers western goes down very fast. but the one of the 89 ford you could take a nap waiting for it to hit the ground.

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

might want to ajust the quill, directions can be found in the manual for your pump

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've seen this discussed here so you might compare what I tell you with what you find in a search on quill adjustment. Thats the adjustment for speed of lowering the plow. It's been a few years since I had to adjust mine, but it's a simple procedure. Looking at the drivers side of your pump housing, I believe it's toward the inside rear corner of the top of the valve body, you'll see a small slotted screw. Turn this in small increments (1/8 turn) to change how fast the oil flows thru the system upon lowering. Turn clockwise to slow it down,counterclodkwise to speed it up. I believe I set mine to take about three seconds to lower the plow. One other thing that could cause slow drop could be the packing nut on the lift ram is too tight but I'll bet it's your quill adj.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

are you in a race

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

:D :waving:

6. mole

mole Senior Member

Is there a way to bring the plow up faster also, Just wondering

7. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Read Your Manual:eek:

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

If you had a Meyers e-60 you can adjust the pump both ways.

9. mole

mole Senior Member

hey camland if I had one I would have looked at it smart a**

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Plow problems........

Hey Mole,my Fisher was doing the same as yours.It is the quill adjustment.mine would take forever to raise and yes you could take a vacation waiting for it to drop.The problem is that when mine was slow up/down when i got to an uneven surface--I.E.--the top of a hill i would have to literally have to stop and wait for it to lower to the ground or leave a big pile of snow where my plow would not lower quick enough.No it's not a matter of racing either.I plow in low range 4 wheel drive and i do not ever plow fast enough for the truck to shift into second,and my mothers driveway is well over 350' long.Slow and easy feels better than fast and hard----(at least in snowplowing)--anyway,adjust the quill,looking down @my Fisher it's next to the lift ram on the right side a silver straight slot screw.I can probably get a picture tomorrow if you need it.

11. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

The faster that blade drops and raises, the more you make per hour. Call it a race, I call it efficiency.

12. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

Thanks for the info guys. Fixed the problem yesterday. Works great it even increased the speed that it raises up too.:drinkup:

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

is there a quill on e47 i didnt see it on the manual

14. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

go buy one....