1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drop Spreaders for walks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mullis56, Aug 10, 2009.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Who has suggestions? Reviews? Good or bad types? We need to get some drop spreaders for some properties this upcoming winter and are looking for suggestions on brands, reviews, what works, what doesn't, etc. Money isn't issue but our experience is that sometimes the more expensive ones aren't as good on the rotary end of things. Input is needed. Thanks for your help!
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Screw the rotary junk. Epokes are the way to go. We've had them for 10 years, and still ticking. Just make sure their washed out and guys dont bounce them onto the ground when taking them off the truck. They're a bit heavy, but put as much product where you want it every time. They're worth every penny.
  5. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Lesco makes a nice 36" drop spreader. They also make the roto drop, which does both. I plan to purchase one of those for the drop spreader for sidewalks this year.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, the Epoke is hands down the best drop spreader made.
  7. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

What about the scotts spreader from Walmart ?
  8. hardscaper

hardscaper Member
    from usa

drop spreaders

We use to run epokes but changed to hydromann's we have over 50 of them and they work very well but are heavy and the crews sometimes drop them off the back of the trucks. Buying five at a time we pay $950 each.
  9. GTMN

GTMN Member

Why are these things so expensive? I'm sick of $300 rust piles but $1,000 is a lot of money to be putting towards a sidewalk crew!
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 epoke. Look after it and you will have it until you retire. They are built very well. They need to be greased and washed. The will spread bulk and even chunks. I saved more in salt then the spreader costs in the first month.
  11. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Has anyone used buyers products? they seem to be about $200 on ebay.
  12. JohnnyRoyale

Are they parked beside your 70 pushers?
  13. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

use a nice Lesco spreader that would do the job
  14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

regarding the link to the epoke...am i reading it correctly, one load can span 3.7 miles? if so that's amazing !!!!! not sure any rotary could compete..as luck would have it i just bid a huge complex with most walks i have ever done
  15. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i use a walk behind spreaders from like tru value for grass seed cheap but works lol
  16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Likewise... My guys wont even touch the fancy $400+ stainless meyer spreader. They prefer the cheap lightweight ones they can easily handle. The cheapos with a few mods work great, and cost next to nothing. I buy 1 year old loaners from a local hardware store for $15 each... I can replace one 67 times for the cost of an epoke... :eek:
  17. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

wow 3.7 miles
  18. JohnnyRoyale

Probably correct on the lowest setting-our guys never use the lowest setting. Ya you could replace it with 67 other pieces of crap but is it really worth the aggravation? This spreader lays salt or whatever down where you want it when you want it with no problem, or over spreading (as in broadcast spreaders) and as long as they're washed out everytime after use will cause you no grief whatsoever.

I've learned (from exp) and been taught (by listening to others) that something of quality usually comes at a higher initial price and trial and error will cost you more in the long term. You decide what you want to do or buy.