1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drop speed

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rcpd34, Dec 9, 2008.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

My Poly V has the drop speed of a guillotine. How do I adjust it? Also, how often should I service it/replace the the fluid? Thanks.

2. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

on my V There is a allen screw that adjust the drop speed its on the back

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the pass side, back side of the lift tower facing the bumper. Need a 3/16 allen wrench and a 9/16" open end wrench to break the jam nut loose. Turn the allen screw clockwise (in) to slow the drop speed down. Check it in both vee and scoop positions as it will always drop faster in scoop than it will in vee. Have to tune it to your liking.

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks! I'll try it as soon as it stops raining.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's how you keep the snow off. After you adjust it you'll be mad that it's to slow!

6. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

You're right about that. But I had to set mine slower. I was afraid I'd be waking people up in the middle of the night. (my favorite time to plow - less idiots)
    The nine footers make a pretty good thud on a concrete drive.

7. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

You're plowing rain? lol

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I adjusted mine to drop a little faster last year and its nice but the plow is now just starting its 3rd year and during the course of the last 2 storms, BOTH blade return springs broke. The hook snapped at the block in the center. Now I need to slow mine down a bit.

9. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I tried to adjust mine last night, but can't break the jam nut lose from adjustment screw. The adjustment screw turns fine, but I can't break the nut lose to lock it down in a new position. Can I pull the screw all the way out and take it inside/heat it up to break it loose? It unscrews pretty far, then doesn't feel like it wants to come all the way out and I don't want to crank it too hard if it isn't supposed to come all the way out. Sorry, this is my first Boss after a million Westerns. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll come out. Just may be a little snug from lack of adjustment/weather. Add a little penetration fluid and gingerly thread it in and out a few times to clean the threads.

11. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I mean can I take the whole screw out of its hole and bring it inside. The nut it just stuck on the screw in its place, but the whole screw moves in and out of the hole fine. I don't want to strip the allen head and the allen wrench was bending like crazy trying to break the jam nut loose. I just need to know if the drop speed adjustment screw can be pulled all the way out without damaging anything. Thanks.

12. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Also, can I switch to a V plow if I have the right connector already on my truck and get the right controller? If so, which is the right connector?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, screw the enitre jamb nut/allen screw out as an assembly so you can work with it.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just change to a vee blade controller and you can run the vee. No other changes needed (the beauty of a Boss).

But, you can actually run the vee with your straight blade controller in a pinch if need be, you just can operate the wings independently... it'll function just like a straight blade.

15. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

16. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

The drop speed is good for me. The wing retract speed could be slower, but it works.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow is approx 7-8 years old. Serial # would tell for sure.

You can run the pro wings on the older plows with the boxed rear side but you need to cut a large hole in the box in order to attach the pro wings onto the back side of the blade sheet. Or the other option is to change the attaching pin on the wing to a longer one to allow it to go fully through the board sheet and protrude out the rear of the box section. Either option works fine...

18. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Again, thanks.

19. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

is it harmful to the plow when it drops? I just got my boss v today on my f250, and when i drop it, it shakes the whole truck and sometimes seems pretty damn hard...maybe i'm just being worrisome?

20. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I sometimes wonder why boss puts springs on the wings and western and the rest don't