1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

drop speed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Dec 23, 1999.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have all electric Diamond plows, now the Meyer owns Diamond, Diamond plows come with Meyer pumps. The Diamond plows i have all have the Meyer E 60H pump, almos the same as the E 60, except it provides a higher lift cylinder. Anyways the E 60H and E 60 have adjustable drop speeds. For those of you that own a E 60 or E 60H pump, how fast have you set it to drop your blades?<p>Geoff
  2. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

OK. I have the E-47, and it drops s l o w. I know where the adjuster is, but would rather leave it alone. My brother runs an E-60. His drop speed gives it bang, but not too loud. Not as loud, or fast, as most Westerns I see. I know, they are adjustable as well, but I see many adjusted to drop almost free fall. I'd rather slow the drop a little. Why slam the plow more, it gets slammed enough as is. Dropping that fast is no real benefit. Dropping faster than my E-47 is, but free fall is too fast. You should hear a little squirt of fluid through the valve as the balde falls.<br>BE CAREFUL OF YOUR TOES WHEN MAKING ADJUSTMENTS!!!<br>Use 1/8th turns of the adjusting screw. Kinda like a carb. Fine adjustment. Bang yes, hard enough to bounce when it hits the ground, no.<p>~Chuck Smith<br><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I really wasn't sure what to do. Right now they are on the factory settings, and maybe I just leave them there. If they drop too fast the guys may start shifting the truck too quick. Best to take some time before going from forward to reverse I would think. <p>Geoff
  4. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

YES! ALWAYS stop fully before shifting from forward to reverse. That's what blows transmissions. Especially in Dodges. No matter what auto trans, full stop, then shift.<br>With that said, I also want to say that residential customers put up with the noise of plowing, they have to, but the added BANG of a fast drop every pass, can become obnoxious fast!! Believe me, you can hear that bang 1/2 way down the block, even with snow on the ground. <p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
  5. lawnjocky

lawnjocky Junior Member

i set my drop speed fast on my truck the reason is when i'm plowing i'm usually in a hurry and waiting on that plow to drop gets on my nerves.as far as the bang noise is concerned your not useing the plow right.the reason i say your not plowing right is you should not lift the plow all the way,just clear the ground by an inch or 2 unless you must go higher. when you start a job stop the plow in mid drop if there is concern over noise otherwise you're not going to hurt that plow droping it (you might the pavement but thats something else).as to the speed setting,well it's not as fast as dropping a brick but we're not talking feathers either.your ajustment range is roughly a 1/4 turn (a little turn means a lot) mine is set to drop as fast as i can shift (auto trany) if that helps but it's really based on your experience at plowing.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Cold weather has a tendency to echo loud bangs. Now when in a lot with no curbings, or when winrowing a large area, I will agree that there is no reason to lift the plow all the way, however with the fast cycle times of these new pumps it is hard to do at times. Also when pushing over curbs I need to lift my plow all the way, so as to not drag when backing off the curb. Remember leave enough room for at least two more storms. <br>But the fast down speed will knock off any snow that sticks to the blade.<br>On the older belt drives, you can feather the valve and control the drop speed that way.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br>
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Chuck can you adjust the drop speed on an e-47? If so could u please tell me how? I have one vehicle with a e-47 and a two meter plow that is so light I would like it to drop faster. I have also heard that you can ncrease the speed of the pump but have not heard any more info on it. I know little about Meyer pumps but am trying to learn as I seem to be servicing more and more.
  8. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

When I push the snow to where it is being piled, I start to raise it just when it hits the pile. That's how you stack it. The blade rides up the pile and pushes the snow over the top. Then when backing away, if the blade isn't all the way up (or close) it would ride down the pile pulling the snow back with it.