1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

drop & go, or go & drop?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by twodan, Nov 20, 2005.

1. twodan

twodan Member

this will be my first year plowing the two lots at work, besides trying my own drive. I've been lurking silently for a few months trying to get educated here, and i'm still not sure if: beginning a run, do i drop the plow and drive ahead, or do i creep forward, and then drop the plow?
    thanks, dan

2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

While going forward, I drop the plow.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

Its always better, if possible, to "go and drop" eliminating the extra weight added on to the tranny.
    Of course, given the amount of "space" available, isn`t always possible.

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

GO SLOW and DROP, unless you are on fire then STOP, DROP and ROLL! :yow!:

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Hey NJ Plowman: That was a good one:drinkup:

6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

no meassage sry

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

starting is easy, either way will work, a better question might be what to do at the end of your push.
    • Pushing to a pile off the pavement: Try not to put your tires on the grass untill it has frozen, and when you are just about to the edge of the pavement lift your blade a tad. Otherwise you will be making a nice sod roll.
    • Dealing with curbs: Push up to the curb, stop, lift blade and reverse while moving over 3/4 of blade width, stop, put it in drive and drop blade. When lot is all pushed to the edge two circles should clean it up, the first is done at a good clip so as to rooster tail most of the snow over the curb, the last pass you'll be scraping the curb clean and pushing straight into a corner space.
    • Pushing into a large pile: As long as the pile has not turned into an iceburg, you don't have to slow down all that much, infact if the snow is fairly dry and you push into the pile with some speed the snow will shoot up over the pile and allow you to push a pile about 10' high. The trick is when the pile is a little wet with some ice spots and some soft spots, this is when you do not want to slam the pile while raising your blade, otherwise you'll end up sitting on the plow frame with no more lift capability--your stuck.

What ever advise you get, just remember experience is the best teacher, I still learn something new or what not to do every winter.

8. twodan

twodan Member

thanks

you guys are most helpful, thanks. if i can ever help one of you with appliance parts issues, let me know.
    dan