1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drop down sides on a dump body?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tom18287, Mar 20, 2013.

1. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

I'm gonna be ordering a new 450 dump pretty soon, and I'm considering drop down sides. Anyone have any experience with them? do they wear out or are they pretty durable?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep the hinges and latches greased up otherwise they seize and it takes two of you to close them. As far as durability, we load ours with broken concrete and asphalt and they hold up just fine.
  3. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I think it should be mandatory and can't imagine not having them. Like Pete said, keep them greased. I've been using the same box since '99 and have put everything thru it. Some things have hurt it(boulders/big stumps) but had it fixed and still use it.
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

When in doubt, overbuild it. My old truck had 3/8" pins and they sucked. New one has 3/4" and its diesel
  5. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Had one on our '99 F-350. Loved it in the summer for landscape work. After a few years of plowing, the back corner posts were getting pulled back from the tailgate spreader. After a while the latches wouldn't work.
  6. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Keep all the pivots lubed up with fluid film and you'll have no problem.
  7. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

not to hijack the thread but has any one picked up wet concrete in a bed with fold down sides? I like the idea for loading purposes but i pick up wet a lot and wouldn't want cream spilling all over the truck.
  8. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds terrible. You mean washout? I just throw some rca back there to soak it up. Any dump body will leak out the tailgate
  9. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

thats actually a great question....i have done this before as well.
  10. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

with a $120 delivery charge I pick up anything under a yard and a half, the tail gate does leak a little but washes off easily. It also gives you more time to work with the concrete and no over time with the truck.
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I line my bed with some 4mil poly and drive slow , no sharp turns or stops, I learned the hard way!
  12. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I've had drop down sides on a 2001 F450 since new. Just like others said, keep it greased and open them once in a while if you're not using the truck. I wouldn't have a truck without them. I just got a 2008 F550 with drop down sides. If you're buying new, I would seriously consider a 550. GVW goes up from 15k to 19.5k. These trucks (or at least mine) are 10k empty. So with a 450 you can only carry 2.5 TN. The 550 almost doubles the payload. Well worth the extra $$.
  13. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

Believe me, i'd love to get a 550, but the 450 has 16k GVW plus my 9990 trailer is less than 26k gcvw. in MA the total can't be more than 26 without CDL.
  14. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Ok, works different in Jersey. Commercial trailers have to be registered at 0 lbs. and the truck has to be registered for the weight of the truck & trailer combined. My 550 is registered for 26k. When it's empty it's 10k, and I pull a 15k trailer, so I'm safe at 25k actual weight. When I pull out of the quarry with 5 TN it's only 20k, and the 550 handles much better than the 450 with that weight.
  15. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

You can expect similar leakage out the sides with concrete as you would get out the tailgate. Probably not that big of a deal, like you said it washes off easy.
  16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I loved mine, but will admit didn't keep them lubed enough. Only had them on 1 truck then went to fixed sides.
  17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not true. When the trailer is 10k or under GVWR the truck can be up to 26k GVWR without a CDL.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  18. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Drop down sides are nice but once you add 3 ft sides on it they tend to get heavy.... Or if you get bigger sides they touch the ground once folded down.

Just something to keep an eye out for.
  19. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

Have them on my 99 F550 wouldn't ever go with out them, works awesome for skid loader attachment when you have a trailer on, can load stuff in the box without any hassle once so ever... But just as everyone said keep the hinges greased and lubed up, also we have sides on ours for hauling snow,mulch, or whatever but they do get very heavy and will touch the ground just like BigBoyPlowin said. Just another thing to keep in mind.
  20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What year are those trucks? Ive got an 06 F550, friends got an 05 F450, ive got a gvwr of 17,950 and his is 16k. I know the new trucks have higher gvwr options but both of our trucks are exactly the same in number of leaf springs and in every other way except the door sticker. I wouldn't be surprised if there are different options on the newer ones so that aspects like springs are actually upgraded on the 550's so that's why i'm just curious

Beat me to it :salute: