1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Drop blade every time you park?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Do you guys lower your blade every time you stop and shut your truck off? Or do we need to do that just during longer periods of time?

thanks,
    Kurt

2. richardlewis

richardlewis Member

I drop mine every time because the dealer told me it is better for the cylinder

3. james1787

james1787 Junior Member

I highly reccomend it for the following reasons:

1. Safety. Suppose something lets go, it drops and someone nearby gets hurt?

2. You are putting unneccesary stress on your suspension, shocks and truck by leaving it there

4. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Sounds reasonable. Thanks, i'm startin' from the top here, so i really wasn't sure.

kurt

5. james1787

james1787 Junior Member

Yeah, I actually had a diamond plow on the 89 chevy I used to have. For whatever reason it would lower itself over a period of time. Perhaps it was just out of adjustment, but I always had to hit the "up" on the stick now and then when I was driving. If something let go inside the system and it lost pressure, they can come down really fast. I hate to picture what that would do to a foot if someone were inadvertently walking by.

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Drop the blade till it makes contact with the ground then take back up any slack. It makes it a little harder to be removed by people that it don't belong to.
    I also put a floor jack under the rear frame when parking my sander in the shop with a load in it.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

ALLWAYS lower it. :nod:

8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I always lower my blade on both my trucks & ATV. Seems like a lot of liability for my BIG fleet if I leave them up! :waving:

9. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I was told to ALWAYS lower your blade when parked! Less stress on your most important tool...your truck!

10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

That's not my most important tool, and the girl friends would agree. =))

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Always drop it, same reasons as above.

12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Safety first!

Keep it down on the ground for the reasons stated above.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

If you are traveling to or from a job make sure you use the saftey chain. If something did "let go" while you were going down the road at 60 mph..... well at worst you could have a pretty serious wreck...... at the least you wouldn't be wearing clean underoos anymore ;)

14. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Talking about a plow coming down. This year when I put the plow on the truck I guess the plugs weren't in all the way or something. So I couldn't move the plow once I got it up. So I get out of the truck and start looking at the plow to see whats going on. Well I wiggle the plow plugs a little and the plow drops. Scared the crap out of me :eek: . If I had had my feet under it I would probably not be plowing this year. :nono:

15. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Yes drop the blade safty should be top concern...Oddly enough i see plenty of plows parked at stores and homes with the blade left up. :confused: