1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DRL's on dad's burban

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 27, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

My dad has a 96 GMC suburban 2500 and lately the DRL's on it havn't worked. From what i can tell, all fuses are good to them and the nightime headlights work. What could possibly be the problem. Don't the DRL's use the same bulbs as the headlights just at a lower power setting?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yes I beleive the obs chevy's DRL lights are just the regular headlights just on at a lower voltage. Check the underhood fusebox as there should be a relay for the lights. If it is not marked on the fuse box, check the owner's manual as it should show it. I just disabled mine, as I dont feel the point to using them. But it sounds like a relay.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your correct mcw, the DRL's are just the low beam head lights that are on at reduced power. The two main components of the DRL system are the DRL module and the relay for it. The relay's seldom go bad, but the modules do.Both are located under the dash. Two questions for you, does the DRL icon light up in the gage panel when the DRL's should be on? Does this truck have a plow on it or has it ever, to the best of your knowledge? .

4. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

Make sure the parking brake is off. If its on, even 1 click, it will turn them off.

5. mcwlandscaping

No plow ever on it ( it will possibly at the end of this year!) And i do not believe the lil DRL icon is on.

6. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

What he said hold the release lever out and pull up on the foot brake ( e brake) to make sure it is all the way up, 1 click down will turn them off it is made to do that. Could be something else as others said but check the simple stuff first.

7. mcwlandscaping

I understood, and no, its not down at all.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, check the easy stuff first, reach up under the dash and disconnect the wire from the switch on the E-brake pedal and see if the DRL's come on.If they don't then reconnect it. You mentioned that you checked the fuses. Did you see the one that's marked DRL/FOG? If you did, and it was ok, then either the DRL relay is bad or the DRL module itself is bad or the connector is loose. More than likely it's the module as they go bad quite often. I can help you run some circuit checks to make a definite diagnosis, but I'll need to send you some "pin out" and connector end view charts so you can see what you need to check with a test light.

9. mcwlandscaping

I will check on some of those basic things tomarrow and get back to you with the results!! Where is the module located as well as the relay? This may sound weird, but i am loving having some of these small problems with mine and my dads vehicels, it is allowing me to learn a lot about them thanks to what B&B is having me do to check for problems! THANK YOU!!!!!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I think thats the first time I've ever heard someone say that their glad their truck is broke! LOL! The DRL relay is located in the convenience center under the dash,to the left of the brake pedal.It will look a little like a fuse panel with a few relays in it. Depending on the options the truck has there will be between 2 and 5 relays plugged into it.The DRL relay will be located in the bottom row second from the left.Your 4 way flasher should be on the right side of it.The DRL module is located behind the knee bolster panel on the right side of the steering column.If you look at the front side of the panel you can actually see where it's bulged out to clear the module located behind it.

11. mcwlandscaping

i know exactly where you are talking about and i think i remember you mentioning the placement on it for someone elses truck problem as well!.......this raises another question, can't believe im gonna ask, but, ive never been able to figure out how to take off that bottom plastic panel. How do i do this?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Look closely along the cover and you should see a few screws that attach it to the dash.There should also be a screw right by the E-brake release lever,make sure you get that one too.Then, just "unsnap" the panel.You'll have to twist the E-brake lever/cable assembly in order to get it out of the panel too. The DRL module will be behind the panel, it could be just hanging by it's wiring or it might be clipped to a bracket near the steering column. The module look's similar to a regular old relay and will be about 2 inches square but it will have a finned heat sink on it.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Look closely along the cover and you should see a few screws that attach it to the dash.There should also be a screw right by the E-brake release lever,some trucks have it, some don't.Then, just "unsnap" the panel.You'll have to twist the E-brake lever/cable assembly in order to get it out of the panel too. The DRL module will be behind the panel, it could be just hanging by it's wiring or it might be clipped to a bracket near the steering column. The module look's similar to a regular old relay and will be about 2 inches square but it will have a finned heat sink on it.