1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DRL not working even with DRL kit installed.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gl1200a, Dec 21, 2005.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

I have a 1997 Chev S-10 with DRL's. I installed my Western plow and have never been able to run the DRL's with the plow wiring installed. I finally purchased the Canadian DRL kit (which is listed to work on any vehicle with DRL's) and plugged the new red (powered when vehicle is running) wire terminals to the relays where the brown wires were formally connected.

Still no DRL's when the truck is running and I can find no one with more than a shoulder shrug so far to help me further. I did do a search here before bothering you folks, but was unable to find anything to help me out. Thank you for the help.
  2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

it cant be that hard to fix!!

how many pins are in the plug that joins the truck to the plow, 9 or 12?
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Just so you know... on these plow when the DRL on on the plow light are on, but very dim... almost like 1/2 the power is going to them.

Do you have the isolation module or the relay type setup??
  4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

he has relay system,isolation module does not have headlight relays:)
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

It's a nine pin system and there are two relays with the number 30308 on them. I know what you mean...it can't be that hard to figure out, but it's apparently just hard enough for me. I'm looking up the diagrams now since I discoved them online at Western and can't seem to locate my original manuals. Thanks for the help !
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

Ok, let me run this by you.... It's been long enough that I forgot that I originally has this plow and harness on a '91 GMC Sonoma then put it all on my '97 S-10. If I look at the relays on my truck they are number 30308 and (if I read the shematics on the Western site correclty) Western shows the relay should be a 61586. I wonder if this is my problem and if the relays would make a difference. Then...if so... where can you get new relays at a reasonable price?

Thanks again for any advice.
  7. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

I'm sorry, that 61586 is the harness number. I don't know where to find the relay number needed with my 97 S-10 with DRL's, but I do have 30308 ('91 GMC with no DRl's) on the truck.

Thank you
  8. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

OK, everything points to me having the wrong harness. It shows that for a truck with DRL's I need the 12 pin harness with three relays. Non DRL's use the 9 pin with two relays wihich is what I have. Thanks for the help anyway.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

before you run out and strip the harness out and throw a new one at it, what headlights do you have on the truck, there were 3 different styles for that truck. 1 st style was the dual rectangular glass bulb, 2nd was dual rectangular halogen (small bulb), 3rd was quad composite.
  10. bobcatuser

bobcatuser Junior Member

DRL modules are designed to run the High beam bulbs at 1/2 intensity to be seen during the day. Wiring the plow lights (for the DRL) requires a splitter off the wire (at the headlight) from the high beams on the truck. I hope this makes sense.
  11. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

My DRL's never have worked. I figure its just one less thing draining my battery that supplies my defroster.
  12. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

My S-10 has the dual headlamp setup (one on each side). I'm just going to leave it as it is. I just went out and took the DRL wire kit back out of it and left is w/o DRL's. I do like them in the summer (especially with a black truck) and will probably make some pigtail extentions so I can switch from plow lights to regular without taking the grill, airbox and other things out spring and fall. The western schematics are very clear. The wiring from my original 9 pin '91 S-10 worked fine in my '97, but is not the correct harness to use with a DRL equipped truck which requires the 12 pin and an additional relay.

Thanks so much for the input.