1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving With Scoop Plow

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Jaynen, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Who here has a scoop plow? I have an 8 foot scoop and when we were driving around the city in wet slushy snow I got alot of spray covering my driver and passenger windows and mirrors. About 15 seconds after cleaning the windows i could not see out of them again. Like some sorta vortex effect. Lower the blade helped a little. But still could see out the window.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You aren't driving in scoop position are you? Should either have it in the v position or straight angled.

3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Its a scoop plow. Kinda got no choice.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Try lowering it a littel and swing it to the side.

5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I did and it helped a little. Maybe 15%. Have u encountered this before?

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hiniker? Not a lot of people on here with them, so it might be difficult to get answers. Is there a deflector on the top of it?

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Interesting; just googled it. Never heard of it before. When you mentioned "scoop" I just assumed it was a v plow.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming driving in reverse isn't an option?

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Every plow I've owned has kill of visibility on my passenger window.

I can't drive backwards in fear handicap signs

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I know a couple guys that have/had 9ft scoop plows and they both have/had the same problem. The issue is present on all plows but more noticeable due to air turbulence by the geometry of the mold board. You'll have the same issue with a straight or V plow with wings on them. The only thing to do is angle the blade all the way to the right and live is a dirty passenger window and bring window cleaner and towels.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a straight Hiniker ,
    But a guy I know has a scoop.

It works well but transporting it at speeds over 45 mph is a pain.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

With oot a book there'd be chaos and pandemonium........ or it can be an encrypted super secret message..... :nod:

15. JustJeff

They all say that or something similar. Realistically most all of us drive faster than that with the plow on.

16. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

^^^^ That exchange makes me smile :) ^^^^

Transportation is probably the biggest down side with the scoop plow. You don't have much choice other than to live with it.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since the MFR's are in agreement aboot not exceeding 45mph guess there's nothing to it then........eh...

18. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

He could take the plow off and put it in the truck bed?

19. JustJeff

They say this due to overheating as you pointed out. Mentions nothing about getting crap on your windshield. You never drive over 45 with your plow on?

20. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Something to try

To change the airflow pattern of the plow, hopefully for the better, you may want to try taking some 4" or 6" PVC/ABS pipe, and make a slot in the bottom to allow it to go over the upper edge of the plow. You would need 3 sections for the scoop plow.

The change from a sharp edge to a rounded edge will change the vortex generation from the sharp edge.

For a test, I would probably just secure it with ratchet straps or bungees.

You might be able to do very will with an airfoil shape on the upper edge, which would help cooling as well, but that is a much more complex to accomplish.