1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving with plow attached

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dontknowmuch, Jan 18, 2009.

1. dontknowmuch

dontknowmuch Junior Member

Can you drive any distance with the plow on? I have a half ton avalache with a Boss 7"6" staright blade. I was wondering if it is stressful on the front end. Or is it OK to drive 75 miles or so? Thanks for the help.

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh you can do it, it'd be same as plowing for 75 miles. Just watch your speed on the highway, and keep the plow as low as you can so it doesnt restrict airflor over the radiator.

3. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

It's probably worth the few minutes to remove the plow. Unless you're going to plow at your destination, it'll be a big anchor in the mileage department. Besides, if you're in heavy traffic it's another thing someone else can hit.

4. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I have a 2002 ram 1500 with 7'6" boss straight blade, only had it on the truck once, but the only problem I had was driving on the highway with the blade up high the truck started getting hot and my farthest account is 45miles away.

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Agreed. While you can, it'll put more wear and tear on the drivetrain and suspension, plus the mileage will suck.

6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

You can do it but like said alreadly mileage will be hurtin' Just keep an eye on the temp. gauge as the truck will get hot quicker. I often drive 30 miles with plow about half up raising to take turns and at railroad crossings to avoid hitting the ground

7. dontknowmuch

So my main concern is the temp gauge right. If it goes high just pull over and wait for it to cool? No other big worries with the suspension or anything?

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

your suspension willbe fine. just keep an eye on the temp

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

45 miles away. how long does it take to get there during a storm. They must pay you pretty good to travel 45 miles?:dizzy:

10. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

My philosophy has always been if its not going to be used take it off asap.Can create more problems than the time to take it off.Plus I hate driving with it on.Feels like I'm in Cadillac as soon as it comes offprsport.

11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

If your driving it everyday with it on you will wear suspension/steering down faster than if you had plow off. Once in a while you will be fine. I never have to pull over just lower plow traveling 70-85mph watch the guage if she's hot lower plow to get air flowing again. Yes, I know you're not to drive that fast with plow on so let's say I'm a professional driver on a closed course.:D

12. dontknowmuch

Love your dog and thanks for the info, it will only be on for that long of a trip 3 or 4 times a winter. I'll watch the temp gauge

13. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Yeah. I'd like to know that too. And is that one way or round trip? Details.....

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Or it could be a nice defensive device......

But I would say, the best interest in you vehicle would be to take it off.

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you're good road worthy wise too because as long as the plow is 9' or narrower, you're legal

16. te snow

te snow Member

I don't know how it is in your area but hear in Illinois you have to e careful when on the highway especially not to let your plow hit the road. I went through a toll booth once and the attendant told me to watch the plow height because the state police will ticket you if the plow touches the roadway. Only if they see you of coarse.

17. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I put my plow on in anticipation for a storm only...or to wash the hell out of it.

I take the plow off when not in use.

Why put the extra strain on your truck when not needed?

By the way...transporting the plow is harder on the truck than normal plowing conditions.

I too have to travel quite a distance to go plow..So anytime the plow is not going to be in use...it's in my garage.

But make sure in transport of that distance to either drop the plow real low, or to angle the blade so that air flow is not resrticted to your engine.

Get a trans temp gauge.

18. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I leave my plows on almost all the time. Well the Boss Vplow will never come off all winter, no need. The 810, I often do 100mile round trips with it on, and stays on most of the time around town. I only really take it off when there is no snow in the forecast for at least 3-4 days, even then is iffy. Now if its no snow for a week... then I drop it.

I like it on. I find its great advertising.