1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving with out front shaft??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sno4U, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

OK. The universals are "out" on the front drive shaft of our ' 97 GMC. If I take the front drive shaft out, can I still run the truck until I get the new universals?
    Just to be clear, I'm talking about the short drive shaft between the transfer case and the front pumkin.
    And, is that universal at the back of the shaft by the t. case actually a constant velocity joint?
    Oh, forgot to mention, its a 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ 350-gas automatic tranny. It is shift on the fly (if that makes a diff.)

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can operate the truck all you want with the front drive shaft off without a problem. Unless you get stuck of course :D.

There shouldn't be a CV at the T-case, just a single u-joint. Same at the diff end too of course.

3. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Thanks alot B&B. I know I can always count on you for the correct answer.
    One more ?. My Dad says I need to mark the shaft and reinstall in the same exact position. Is that correct? This is confusin' 'cause when I drive the truck its gonna change all that stuff all together.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help Sno...:salute:

Generally it's good practice to add a few reference marks on the yokes as well as the driveshaft any time your removing one. This helps ensure that it's re installed EXACTLY in the same place as it was before you removed it. Of course a drive shaft is balanced during manufacturing before it is installed on the truck but design tolerances can "stack up" on you if you install it 180 deg opposite of where it originally was and in some cases it's actually possible to create a drive line vibration that originally wasn't there. If you use reference marks before removing it, it'll insure it's re installed in it's original orientation so theirs no question as to how it was "originally" assembled.

If you use marks in the correct locations it wont matter if the yokes turn a bit while running the truck with the shaft off. Simply use a paint marker and first put a large dot or line on the yokes, and then put a line or dot in line on the drive shaft (at each end of the drive shaft) that line up with the marks you added to the yokes. The will allow you to turn the yokes at both ends until they line up with the marks you added on the drive shaft when reinstalling it, Also add a reference mark that you can use to identify "front" or "rear" so you get the shaft orientated correctly front to back as some use the same front and rear u-joint, so it's possible to install the shaft backward by mistake. With reference marks added before removal they'll be no questions during re assembly.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Thanks Bro! Hey I know I said I had only ONE more question but just thought of another 1.
    Is there anything about plows/plow trucks you DON"T know?:rolleyes: