1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving With Hubs Locked?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CLeslein, Feb 13, 2015.

1. CLeslein

CLeslein Member

I have been recently told that it is bad to drive my F350 with the manual hubs locked when I do not have it in 4 wheel drive mode.

There are times when plowing snow that the roads are cleared but I am still plowing driveways. I do not want to travel with 4 wheel engaged in the scenario. So I would just disengage 4 wheel and travel to next stop. Is this a bad procedure?

What do you guys with manual hubs do?
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Leave them locked in. Nothing bad is going to happen. You can unlock them when the season ends if you want to.

You get a little less fuel mileage, and you might put a few more hours of wear on your axle joints, but other than that, you're not doing any harm. These axles are designed to be used, and not remain sedentary

On the bright side, you're keeping all the internals of the axle lubricated, as well as the driveshaft and transfer case as well.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Having no load on the U-Joints won't induce any measurable wear on them.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The only reason I disconnect my hubs is to gain fuel economy. That's it...
  5. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Mine are seized in the lock position. Trucks is a 2011.....
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Kreg, stop listening to Lazza and Born to Snow. They're full of it.
  7. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Good reason to lock and unlock them every once in a while.
    One of my older trucks needed Channelocks every time, the other had been apart so many time for axle joints that you could spin them with two fingers.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Locked in at the start of the season,Had my 2012 hubs replaced at the beginning of the season. Same with every one before that too.
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If plow is on they are locked. If plow is off they are most likely unlocked.
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

x2 on that
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Snow season,,,,,locked......off season OR driving distance unlocked
  12. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

In the winter I unlock mine if I'm leaving city limits
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It isn't slippery outside city limits?
  14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

do more damage in 4wd on dry pavement that 2wd locked.....might see a little tire wear from scuffing on dry pavement, but rotating will straighten it out
  15. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I leave mine locked unless I'm going on a longer trip on high way. Only unlock them for fuel economy.
    Im surprised that you Guys are replacing hubs on 2011 and newer trucks already. Any idea why they failed?
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Leaving them lock in to long
    My County road crew has a 2011 F350 and they already replace the factory hubs. They never unlock them The Boss's truck is to lazy get out to lock and unlock so leaves them lock in.
    My cousin works there this coming from him.
    There new 2015 truck has auto hubs see how long they last him.
  17. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

My comment was assuming good road conditions, not if I was leaving city limits to plow
  18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I leave ours locked in at the beginning of the season and unlock them in the spring. I know they are BIG bucks to replace them, somewhere around 5-600 bucks each! No issues yet with ours (great now I jinks myself)!
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Once you leave the city limits it's a free for all! It's a verible wasteland of unplowed roads.Or so I heard.
  20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Sounds like you've been to northern Colorado.......