1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving with hubs locked?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by micah79, Sep 20, 2003.

1. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

89 Dodge w-250 4x4

I have heard that it is good to only use 4x4 when it is needed. I was wondering if at the beginning of the storm, I could lock my hubs and shift into 4x4 when needed. I use 4x4 for about half of my accounts. The rest are on flat ground and I haven't had a snow deep enough to need 4x4 for them. Someone else was telling me that I shouldn't leave the hubs locked and drive in 2wd. I really don't want to have to get out of the truck before each drive way and lock the hubs then get out again to unlock them. Help please!!!!!

2. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

The hubs on my older Trucks stayed locked in from November thru May with no problems at all. Scott

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i never unlock the hubs on my two plow trucks
    nothing worst than not trying to lock the hubs with a pair of pliers
    if theirs white stuff on the ground im always in 4x4

cardoctor

4. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Bottom line is this,.... You don't want to spin your front axles when you don't need to. But when I plow I lock my hubs in the day of the approaching storm and the day I finish and wash my trucks is the time for unlocking the hubs. Saves on wear but when I need FWD during the storm I just pull the lever back. Running with the hubs locked otherwise just puts unnecessary wear on thingspumpkin:

5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I run with my Warn Premium manual hubs locked in all the time. I only unlock them when I am going to be on the highway for a long distance.

My trucks came with the factory auto lockers. Found out right away, auto lockers are not for plow trucks.

I like to keep them locked in case I feel the need to go blasting down a mud road after a good rain:D

Keep them locked in during the storms,
    Mark K

6. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Thanks! I'll kep them locked during the whole storm then. I am glad too. I really didn't want to get out after every account and unlock them.

7. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

dude i dont think think it would hurt to lock yhem in during a rain storm in the summer either it will help keep them lubbed how ever tell me if im wrong

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I always leave them locked all winter.The extra wear you will get is minimal.

It doesn't hurt to chuck it in 4WD one every few weeks (all year round),and drive it for a few miles.This will keep the u-joints,and the front diff parts well lubed and free.

9. Santo

Santo Banned

Great idea.

10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the advise.

11. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

if you do lock in your Hubs during summer months and then drive in 4wd to lube them up. I would suggest driving on gravel roads instead of tar so they don't burn out faster due to resistance from the tar. Always better to have the tires slip alittle on the dirt. I actually take my front shaft off during the summer months. U-Joints last a lot longer sitting on my bench then being on the truck. Then come fall, it goes back together and away I go using it again.