1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driving with caution light on

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danm yankee, Dec 13, 2009.

1. danm yankee

danm yankee Junior Member

sometimes i forget to turn off my caution light when driving between accounts especially during the day when i cant really see it flashing.Just wondering if it is legal to drive down main roads while not plowing with caution light on.I see other guys driving around with there lights on and i just assume they forgot to turn theirs off to.Seems like it would be a good idea to just leave it on somtimes like when it is snowing really hard so people can see you.anybody have any thoughts on this or know what laws are,if any regarding leaving flasher on when not plowing?

2. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

i dont think it matters,i always forget mine on..

3. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

I see it as an attention getter! Ever been drawn to pretty red and blue lights?

4. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

This is a question you are best off asking at your local police department. Laws can vary from city to city and state to state.

5. m297

m297 Member

In Michigan it is illegal to drive with your caution light on. Is it enforced? Probably not, but it gives the Police a reason to stop you if they have nothing better to do.

6. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Most states and most areas its not legal.

However its rarely enforced.

I turn mine on when I get in the truck at the beginning of the storm and turn it off when Im home a day or two later.

7. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I do the same with mine and have never had a issue.

8. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

I personally don't drive around with my warning lights on. I look at it this way if all plow trucks drove constantly with their warning lights on, I would think that over time people would get so used to the amber lights( or blue used by our freinds up north) being on all the time they would lose the effectiveness of alerting drivers of danger by those drivers becoming so used to seeing those lights. I only use my lights when actively plowing or salting.

Bob :waving: :waving:

9. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i know it's illegal here to plow without one on.... driving, i don't think there's a law against it. if i'm goin from driveway to driveway i leave it on. if i'm just driving i turn it off

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I turn them on when I get to the lot and off when I leave the lot. I only turn them on when I am driving if we are having a blizzard or high winds with blowing snow all over the place and visibility is minimal.

11. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

lol.. i forget often myself, never had an issue with the police in pa.. but there's always that local kid who read to much and just got his badge...

12. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Depends on area and other things.

For us here, Amber lights can be left on and you won't be bothered.
    Blue lights and an officer may stop you.

13. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

My cousin got pulled over by a weigh-master last season for leaving hid on @ 2 a.m. when there was no one around. He got let go with a warning but I want to say if he were to get a ticket It would have been around a $100 fine, but I can't remember exactly what they told him it would be.

14. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing without an amber emergency light on your roof is a $100. fine here in taxachusetts!

15. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

People in Michigan used to plow in my area without out an amber light, but this year, I;ve noticed trucks that never used to have them, including my neighbor whom I am very supprised who said "they can kiss my @**, I am never putting no dumb @** light on my truck" He how has an inexpensive amber strobe on the top of his truck. A bunch of people do now, so who knows what happened there. But some accounts I leave mine on espessially if it's 2 houses down or something, but the cops in Wayland are so strict that it's not worth the risk

16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i always leave them on, specially our bigger six wheelers

17. Deco

Deco Senior Member

In Pa. warning lights are for loading and unloading on the highway . if it was for towing , all tractor trailers would have one .

what you do on private property is your business .

18. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Here where I live, it is IIlegal not to have a warning light on while plowing. Driving, it doesn't matter, but I keep mine on just to warn other motorists, especially at night, that I have a 9 foot object hanging off the front of my truck. I just feel as though it makes it safer for all who are on the road.

19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I always leave mine on and when I'm not in a Winter event mode and I come up on a construction site,accident,or if I'm stopped behind a blinking schoolbus around a blind turn,it will come on.It can only help,not hinder--that's the way I look at it.

20. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Not that most morons in their little cars pay attention to the warning lights anyways