1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving tractor to job vs truck and trailer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Jul 14, 2014.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hey guys just wondering what is better drive the tractir 30 mins or load on truck with trailer. Thanks

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on road speed, area you're in, road conditions, if truck and trailer are hooked up and ready to go vs still unhooked and parked, etc.

3. NickSnow&Mow

Tractor will go about 21 kmh. My dad has a truck and trailer but im 14 and cant drive the truck all the time. Im just wondering for the future

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I knew you had small tractors but I'm surprised they are so slow on the road.
    In that case I'd trailer them. Unless the travel is just pre/post season to get them from your house/shop to the accounts and they spend the winter at the accounts. If it was a once or twice a year trip then your call to drive them or trailer them.

5. NickSnow&Mow

yeah its hard to say. For now ill be sticking close to home forsure(within 20 minutes) either way ill have to wait until im 16 and have my liscence. My dads too busy in the ag world to drive me to every job or let me use the truck. And 21KMH sounds slow but compared to my 22 horse that goes 7kmh, it flys!

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

How does a subcompact tractor only go 4.5mph (7km/h)? A cheap riding lawn mower goes faster then that.

Something with a 20-24mph road speed would be nice. Or just go big and get a JCB and then you can do 45mph.

7. NickSnow&Mow

To be honest the "sub compact" is just a big riding mower. I dont operate that one my brother does and he stays close to home. I only use it for cutting grass. Im not sure why johndeere did it but its extremely slow. I feel The 32HP goes pretty fast for its size. But the 23 moves like a turttle! And yeah a big loader would be nice but im lucky to have the equipment ive got! The little tractor isnt very expensive but the big ones worth close to 30k! The only reason im lucky enouph to have it is because my dad needs it for spraying in the summertime.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Where are you driving 30 minutes to? Stratford is a pretty small town, or are you doing stuff in Kitchener LOL

I'm assuming you live out of town a bit, ever thought of finding somewhere in town to park them and take a sled into town in the mornings?

9. NickSnow&Mow

i love on the very edge of town but not very far out. I mean its about 30 minutes fron my house to the other end of town in the tractor not the truck.

10. NickSnow&Mow

It wouldnt be worth my while to park it somewhere else some of my customers are kinda close some are farther.