1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving to where the snow is.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ctplowing, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

Hey all.
    It's been awhile since I've been on here. Mostly because coastal Connecticut NEVER gets actual SNOW anymore.

Anyways, I'm thinking of driving a little inland and to where the snow will be tomorrow and simply playing the hit or miss game in going drive to drive asking for work. (parking lots if I'm lucky)
    Has anyone done this, or do this on a regular basis? And if so, is it worth it? I mean, I have a $3,500 plow and here in CT, I've made pretty much nothing the last 3 years.

Thanks and glad to be back. xysport

2. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

What about hooking up with a local contractor and working for them, at least that way you are guaranteed something?

3. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

Whats the best way to go about this?

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

contact local contractors and offer your services.

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I've tried this "follow the snow" idea several times and it only worked once. The time it worked I hooked up with a buddy of mine that ownes a plowing bussiness and helped him out untill he was finished, then I went and did drives.

The snowfall was the greatest 24 hour snowfall the area had ever seen, so everyone was looking for someone to help.

I have tried this method several times since and usually don't make enough to cover my gas.

Bossman

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Sounds great on paper, but it is a huge gamble. I would not count on getting parking lots at all, they are contracted out. Only if there is a lot of snow will people flag you down when you drive by, and even then your chances aren't too great to be profitable. Unless you can find a company who needs sub's, I wouldn't do it.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I think you might want to hang out in CT through the weekend, your gonna get a nice shot on friday then maybe another on sunday, they say about 6" or more. Here on LI we may get less but still better than nothing.