1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving times

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by SnowGoat, Feb 19, 2011.

1. SnowGoat

SnowGoat Junior Member

Hello, this is my first post. I work for the state DOT in CT. We are responsible for snow and ice control on state highways and roads. My question is the amount of time other state drivers drive at a given storm. By contract we drive 17 to 21 hours before we get a 3hr
    rest break. After the rest break we are agin to drive 17 to 21 hours before we get another rest break. Can anyone tell me how their state or municipality handles extended hours?

2. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

hey...welcome to the site. its nice to others from the area here

i work for a local town"not gonna say which one at this time" lol

but we normally work about the same then we take a break for 3 or 4 hours

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

We work 18 on and 6 off unless the city splits shifts and then it's 12 on and 12 off. They usually also provide a motel room for those that do not live close like me.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of town contract around hear say you have to continuasly plow untill it's done snowing and the roads are clear.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

WOW can't believe DOT ok with this.

6. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Thats how it's for me. You learn to deal with it.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here they plow until done ,but they get breaks and stuff.

8. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

we plow till we get tired, take a nap and keep going or they call us back in they are pretty lenient as long as you get your stuff done i personally have a 173 lane miles to do so i don't get much sleep. sometimes we will break it into shifts if we have enough people. DOT just turns there head to this, they know it goes on.