1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driving then everything turns off

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pe31153, Feb 20, 2003.

1. pe31153

pe31153 Junior Member

Hey guys, about 3 days ago, my 87 gmc suburb. began to shut down in the middle of driving. All at once, all accessories, motor, everything would instantly shut down. After this happens, it wont start up most of the time, it just cranks. When i turn the key, if the check engine light doesnt glow it just cranks. If i get lucky and the light comes on it will start right up. I dont know where to start cause the truck got a beating the past few days in the snow and with the fender wells a little rotted something might have got wet. Any leads or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks
  2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I had a truck that did the exact same thing. From what I remember it was the solenoid.
  3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Well grounded

Rotted fenderwells = Bad electrical Ground, If everything stops at once it sounds like a bad connection.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check for loose battery cables.Check the connection at the starter on the solenoid,and any junction blocks on the firewall.There are several fusible links and power feeds here and you may have a loose or corroded connection.
  5. pe31153

pe31153 Junior Member

Thanks guys, all the advice is definitely helping. It figures that today when i drove it to a friends to get looked at it didnt shut down and leave me stranded. Anyways, i checked the fuseable links off the starter, all good, and i've begun to clean the harnesses going through the fire wall, i guess into the fuse box. It's been sort of a slow process being its friday. But the harnesses going into the fuse box have definitely seen better days. I appreciate you guys taking the time to give some advice on what to check. Get back to you later.
  6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Id say it is definitely gonna be electrical and not a fuel problem. Id check things having to do with the ignition, such as the module or pick up coil. Could very well be a bad computer also. When it wont start, you have to check some things, such as do a spark test, and also see if it has fuel pressure. If nothing, else, find the computer and bang on it while someone is spinning the motor over and see if it tries to start at all. All things you can check easily. Mike