1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driving the truck too hard?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jomofo, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I'm not used to driving an automatic transmission and it seems like I'm winding the hell out of this engine - tranny wants to stick in low gear will drop a gear and rev the hell out of the engine when I really just want to give it a little more gas in the gear I'm in... I've got the 545RFE with the hemi - I'll be cruising up the front range with about 1000 pounds in back at 65mph... Hit a little extra incline and go to give it a little more gas - all of a sudden I'm in 3rd and the tach's at 4800rpm. Granted, the truck's not really complaining - yet... You guys experience anything like this?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No, I got the Cummins.

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks for your help. When you post about paying to fix your truck, I'll be sure to chime in with "No, I got the warranty". :salute:

4. JDiepstra

I have had a couple things repaired under warranty, including the fuel pump, and some u-joints. Guess you're burned! :yow!:

5. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Yeah, burned - see you in <36,000 miles...

6. JDiepstra

I'm not sure what you mean by that. My Cummins is covered to 100,000 miles. Not to mention that everyone knows that a diesel far outlast a gasser. Duh.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How much you push on gas pedal? 1/2 way?

But it seem high but with F250 superduty on highway it doesn't do that until I push no more than 1/2 way it would shift in 3 gear then rpm went high.

But I have see some tach hit 5,000-6,000 rpm when someone do this.

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

what was the RPM range before it kicked down?
    1200 to 1500 RPM jump or drop will happen during up/down shifts. OD down or up is about 750 to 1000 RPM.

With all that being said; if it jumped down 2 gears then something is not right. if in only jumped down 1 gear and up (max) 1500 rpms then it sounds fine.

9. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Did you have it tow/haul mode?

10. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

That doesnt surprise me about the rpms. Most of the power of the hemi is unfortunitly up way to hi. When I towed my 94 cummins home with an 05 hemi every hill i climbed I was seeing over 45-5000 rpm but it never lost any speed and didnt seem to mind other than eatin tons of fuel.

11. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

yep, but the ujoints are on you buddy!

12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks for the responses guys.. Usually I have it in TH mode in the mountains. The engine seems to do really well between 4500-5000 rpm - does eat a ton of gas... But the power is more than sufficient. I'm just concerned... seems like I'm driving the wheels off it on some of those long climbs.

13. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Turn the AOD OFF!

14. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Um NO they are covered under warrenty up untill 70,000 miles.

I know this because I go through them like a baby goes through diapers.

I have an 04 2500 with the Cummins Motor, the truck has a 6" lift kit on it and I have had to replace the u-joints I dont know how many times now. I can roast the Hides off of 35"x12.5" LT17 size tires without an issue.

Im not sure what type of warrenty you have on the drive train for your truck but if you have that "wonderful" (hahahahah bull ****) "lifetime warrenty" that dodge put out then you can keep it. I am all set with having to go back to the dealership for the "routine maintenance and inspections" that they charge you for. When was the last time you had a drive train issue????

I have 94,000 miles on my truck right now and i just had to have the water pump replaced about 2,000 miles ago, um yeah i didnt have to pay a thing it was all covered. try that with your water pump at 92,000 miles and see how much it will cost you.

Oh yeah one other thing just remember that you need to run mid grade fuel in your truck or it will void the warrenty. Yeah my truck the dirtier the fuel the better. Also i am getting roughly 24 miles to the gallon while towing the 5,000 pound race trailer with the race truck on it.

15. JDiepstra

Cost me the $100 deductable to have the dealer warranty them. I thought it was a pretty good deal!

16. JDiepstra

Wow that is unheard of mileage! How do you manage that?

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Does anyone smell a fish?

18. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Yeah depending on what needs to be worked on that is under warrenty then i have to pay the deductable, it all depends i guess.

I did the math while driving out to the poconos to head to the race track for a weekend of road coarse racing.

well for starters my truck has the 3.73 gears in the rear. so the RPM's dont get to high while driving on the highway. The truck has an AFE stage 2 intake kit, turbo silencer ring removed, AFE blade runner manifold tube, 4" turbo back exhaust, no cat and a very large free flowing muffler (soon to be removed for 5" stack), and a healthy dose of power from the Diablo Sport Hand held tuner set on extreme.

I dont drive like a ****** going down the highway. 65-70mph is about average, and remember that since i have the truck tuned for an extra 160 hp and 230 lb # of torque, going up hills is nothing, i just leave it in cruise controll and thats it. i still pass people going up the hills when i am loaded up.

also remeber that 5,000 pounds isnt really that much. I have had just as much in concrete bags from home depot in the bed of the truck

19. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Well Cretebaby since i dont like fish then no i dont think so here are a few pics of the truck i drive on a daily basis.

Also for your info it runs the 1/4 mile at 18.2 second time stock at new englad drag way over the summer in the stock setting.

with all the mods I have done it runs a 16.1 seconds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess your worm didnt work to catch any fish today Cretebaby Sorry

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Nice pic Jack LOL