1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving on the road

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by ericash25, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

On my ATV I was gonna go plowing in some local neighborhoods about half a mile down my street. I know its illegal to drive on the road unless it is a state of emergency but we do not get much of those. My dad knows the deputy chief and we are not sure whether we should ask him if it is okay or just go with it. Anyone have an argument for either side? Thanks.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You answered your own question.

ps during a state of emergency

these regulations are to restrict the travel of motorists on the State's roadways during a state of emergency to ensure people's safety and the safety of first responders.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Do it till you get caught... then plead ignorance. People do it every day.

I personally prefer to beg for forgiveness - rather than ask for permission.

Thumbs Up

4. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

what do you mean I answered my own question and i would not be on state roads

5. Philbilly2

:popcorn:...

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

:popcorn:This may possibly be what he is referring to:popcorn:

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

X2

You said it was illegal thus answering your own question.
    Yes it's illegal if We go by what you told us.

A state of emergency applies to all roads.
    They don't want you on any of them.

And a ::drinkup:

Ps dogplow, I'm not mad at him.
    So you can relax...

8. Philbilly2

Been at it for hours now!!! :drinkup:

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Which state do you live in?

In the Communist states of the NE you'll probably be arrested and shot....not necessarily in that order.

Other areas cops are more lenient.

Urban? Suburban? Rural?

10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I live in a town of 110,000 Plus I asked a few of the Cops here and they tell me if its Snowing and you have a Blade on it more than Likely we will assume your using it for work and Not out just riding for fun or if its a State of Emergency and as long as your not out running it down a Priority Road they dont have a problem and as One Cop told me if I saw you more than Likely we are not gonna chase you down because we prolly couldnt catch you.
    If it comes right down to it Ask the cop, ask if theres Laws and how they read reguarding ATV's on the Streets explain your cause and see what they say. The worse case is they say No

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Are you calling a "snow emergency" a " a State of Emergency "?

yea, the cops may turn the other way, until you involved in a accident.

Its not up to the cops what laws they choose to enforce.

Yes,they get lazy and think they have bigger fish to catch than you.
    ya dont ask a cop, a look up the laws and you say that your laws say it's illegal. When you get in trouble tell the judge , that some cops said it was ok.
    and I'm sure he'll throw out the whole incident.:laughing:

Do you have the proper lighting, warring devices, insurance, Lic?
    ho yea your running around on the streets of a good size city, working so all is good.Thumbs Up

edit ceder rapids,
    In the majority of Iowa counties, ATVs and ORVs are allowed on public roadways only for agricultural purposes. Riders must have a valid driver’s license, be at least 16 and, if under age 18, must have a safety certificate.

ATV and ORV riders on public roads for authorized purposes can’t ride before sunrise or after sunset and are restricted to 35 miles per hour.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  12. hulk

hulk Junior Member

Got a cop living across from me. She has seen me drive mine cleaning the sidewalks on the street. Just waves and continues on.
    I also have a modified canam 1000 with aftermarket exhaust.

In general if you do it after a snow fall, don't drive like an idiot the it should slide. Still illegal but can get away with it.

13. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

No problem driving on the streets here, we can drive UTV's, ATV's, and golf carts year round inside the city limits. Just have to have insurance, meet minor requirements (like a bike flag), and pay a $15 permit fee.

14. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

your age?

what state due you live in?

How big is the city your living in?

what street is this your driving down?
    highway through small town or just a regular residential street with stop sign's?
    are there other ATV's on the streets around town plowing after a snow fall?

15. PHS79

PHS79 Member

In Wisconsin unless you are on a road designated as an "ATV route" or you have the ATV registered for "farm use" and are actually using for farm use (checking irrigation, going farm to farm, ect), otherwise it is illegal to ride an ATV on the road. But with that being said, the town that I live in, population of 1800, the PD basically looks the other way after a snow fall if you have a plow on your ATV and are "using your head" and obeying the rest of the rules of the road. But if you are screwing around and just joy riding, speeding, doing donuts, ect they will ticket you for operating an ATV on a road.

16. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

(b) Emergency and bridge crossings.--A snowmobile or an ATV may be operated on highways and streets:
    (1) During periods of emergency when so declared by a policy agency having jurisdiction.
    (2) When necessary to cross a bridge or culvert.

copied and pasted this from PA's vehicle code

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

In Pennsylvania, the State Police are in charge of regulating ATVs. There are several ATV-related laws you should know if you ride or drive an ATV:

You must operate an ATV with a lighted headlight and taillight when other persons, vehicles, or objects are not clearly discernible for a distance of 500 feet ahead.
    All ATVs must be titled and registered. Every ATV must have its own numbered plate, and you must renew the registration every two years.
    No one under the age of 8 can operate an ATV on state-owned land.
    No one between the ages of 8 and 15 may operate an ATV unless it is on a parent's or guardian's land, or the individual has participated in an ATV safety training course and has a safety certificate, of if they are under direct supervision of a certified ATV safety instructor during the course.
    No one under the age of 16 may cross a highway or ride on a designated road unless they have a safety certificate and are accompanied by an adult age 18 or older.
    Riding an ATV on a street or highway is prohibited, unless the road is designated as an ATV road or the driver needs to cross.

18. kingquadplowman

kingquadplowman Junior Member
    from SW WI

Just so you have all the correct information....

A few years ago, Wisconsin passes a law allowing ATVs with plows to be operated on roadways. The ATV must have 360 degree visible amber lighting and operate on the far right side of the roadway. The only kicker is that you must be within (I believe) 2 miles from where you start.