1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving Lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Big Dog D, May 10, 2007.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking to add some driving lights to the front of my 05 F-350 and I would only like them to work when the high beams are working. Has anybody installed them this way? What did you tie into for power?

I was also curious if anybody knows of a way to tie it into the feed for the wiring for the plow lights. I thought about using those but then the regular headlight would turn off. Is there a way to bypass or overide that? I want to do this in a nice way athat I won't regret further down the line.
  2. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

The easiest will be to find the high beam wire @ the headlight. Splice a wire into it to trigger a relay for the aux lights.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use a 30 amp fog light relay that most part stores will have on the shelf
    Use the positive + lead off of the high beam wire to trigger the relay. Switch the - negative lead of the relay so you can control when the lights burn. Make sure you fuse the power lead that the relay switchs.
  4. snowcan

snowcan Member

Don't splice into the factory harness.....make life easy and get the upfitter switch from the dealer, it has the relays in it already and the is easy to install, the 05 ford has the wires going through the firewall for aftermarket lights etc. check out fordtrucks.com for install instructions and tons of info on the upfitter switch.
  5. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Driving LIGHTS?

I DONO? about all You Guys?--but--All the New Vehicles w/ those New--Blue Bright Lights--to ME are un-Safe! as the Glare is too much--& most? have several Extra running lights--I Dono what For?-as they Only BLIND on comming vehicles!--another better? engineering Idea?--thats Going to KILL a lot of PEOPLE!--our Grand Son {7} calls E*M U.F.O. wanna Be Pilots?--pretty Good explanation I Think! an as an Older GUY!-I have Noticed so many New Vehicles w/ un-adjusted head lights?--WHO? Inspects these New Vehicles??--Coon Hunters?--OleTower--
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't think the people that put on the lights read down to the "adjust lights" section of the install directions. More evidence that the ignorant are going to inherit this country.
    I have a sister-inlaw that wanted me to put fog lights on her new Tracker.
    I go in and ask her where she thinks she wants the switch?
    She says " Oh they don't have to work, I just want them for decoration".