1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving from Job 2 Job w/Strobe Lights On???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by millsaps118, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I see this ALL the time when I'm out driving from job sites... guys running their strobe/rotor/warning lights flashing, down the freeway/road. Makes me wonder why? During the day (when it's day light out) I can understand why.....they just forget to turn 'em off and have no visual unless they get out after a job and look, but at night!!!!! I see many guys driving down the road with their amber rotors flashing and hazards going.

Just makes me think, WTF dude, are you that important cuz ur out plowing snow?????? You don't realize the flashing lights on ur dash, and the flash-back from your strobes against the pitch black backround?

Even though I pay no attention, and just go about my business and drive on. It just makes me wonder WHY? After all who am I to say when you should turn your warning lights on/off.

Anyone else notice this, or is it just me???????

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We've already had a big arguement and poll on this.... like a month ago... do a search.

3. Blues Man

Blues Man Junior Member
    from SE Mich

Mybe we should put a bounty on the guys that do this. A couple of whacks with a shovel?

4. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

my lights are on from when i leave till i come home...if you ever drove in or around chicago at anytime day or night everybody forgets how to drive in the snow. and it makes me more comfortable that they are so people might see and realize hey this truck moves slower then regular traffic takes longer to slow down. i can be 300am on a monday and in chicago there are tons of dumb people that blow red lights and stop signs. rather then risk damaging my truck give them more of a chance to see me. look at chicago fire department lost several FF due to people not seeing or hearing sirens and there engine/truck gets whacked people are stupid in chicago!

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Keep the lights on all the time and people will become complacent thus ignoring the lights all together and not just for you but for everyone else.

I find you will never cure the DA's, the white knuckle drivers, red light blowers, half asleep zombies - they will always exist until they cross the line and create an impact.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lol we sure did...:waving:

Why do you feel that you are so important?
    If you are a hazard to other drivers then take your truck off of the road.

The police, fire etc etc are much more important that you are and they do not run there lights unless there actively engaged in a call.

How about a simi truck? There much bigger and they go slow in the snow?

I think anyone who runs there lights when they are not actively engaged in plowing (driving to your next account does not count)
    should get a ticket.just like the kids do with there accent lighting.

People run stop signs, tailgate and get in to accidents all the time.
    How is a beam of light going to stop this from happing?

If people are looking at your lights and not the road then you are a distraction.(part of the problem) I would want them to be looking at the road and paying attention to there driving, but that's just me...

I don't care where you live....;)

ps peolpe run in to fire trucks on sunny days too....

Did you know that of you are not plowing a city/county/state road or a HWY that you do not need any lights at all...

But...lol you will need a back up beeper. Do you have one?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Im with wee man, i run mine while traveling on the road during a snow storm! I want people to see me, and not to follow to close! I have 2 strobes in the back of my truck, and thats what they are there for to warn people! Im sorry i dont want sum1 rear ending me, i dont want to look to important! I also use my light during the fall season, when my guys are doing leaves! It tends to get dark early during the fall season, so i want to protect my wrokers if we are on a busy street! The lights are there to warn people, not to look important! I have to 2 strobes in the rear and that is it! :rolleyes:

8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

actually the state law here requires us to run amber lights and backup beepers on any and all commercial plowing vehicals. if the vehical can be a hazard it has to run warning lights. and we hold plowing contracts with town and state. so all of our vehicals are equipped with amber lights and run them all the time along with backup beepers. but to ease it up. we have strobe and halogen. so we shut off the strobes to not create a distraction but run the halogens to still warn. but you can bet your ass as soon as that blade touches the ground i light that truck up like a christmas tree. amber halogens strobes and (blue LEDs when i need them.)

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

well I think you need to go do some reading on what is and what is not allowed IE,
    aux lighting, warring lights/snow plowing and emergency lighting, who can run them, when, what and where.

No one wants to get into an accident.
    But using your logic ( running them all the time) why not have everyone on the road use warring lights all the time?
    No one wants to get hit......

You are not allowed to run your hideaway strobes in public streets.
    THEY want all warring lights to be above the roof line and to be "AMBER" in color.
    Running any thing else is just for the COOL factor or they "want to be" a real emergency vehicle.

Again how will your light beam stop the other guy from hitting you?
    Again the police, fire and EMS are much more important than you are and they only run there lights when actively engaged in a service.

so again why are you so important?
    Are your workers wearing their "Safety vests"?

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You guys just HAD to reopen this again.... :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lets sum this up again for those who missed it the last time.
    The lights are for WHEN YOU ARE WORKING, driving down the street between jobs IS NOT WORKING. (Exception: Tractors and loaders and anything significantly slower than traffic)

You are nowhere near as big as a tractor trailer or triaxle dump, and they don't need strobes why would you? What ScottL said above is correct.

If contractor pickups are so dangerous that they need them, so should
    every single commercial delivery truck, semi, dumptruck {larger than average}, or every bicycle, motorcycle, or Smart Car {much smaller than average}

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

It warns people to slow down and be aware, i dont light my truck up like a xmass tree! In jersey if your truck gets hit while on the side of the road, u better have cones or strobes out! Or your screwed!I dont ride around with 8 million flashes going off, with my head out the widow yelling cheers! If we are in a heavy snow storm, i like to use them on the road! Lets people know to keep a safe following distance, im sure when u guys open entrances to a lots you have them on!

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

That's what I said...
    When your plow is on the ground and you are plowing.
    "plowing contracts with town and state."
    Then you run your lights while on the roads...

There is no call for "joe plowjockey" to be running his lights as he is running from account to account...period.
    If you are unsafe running your lights will not change this and you will still be at fault for the accident.

You are just like anyone else on the road regardless of your plow and sander/salter regardless of how important you think your vehicle is.

And like I said to plow private drives or lots you DO NOT need to run any lights at all.

wow, you would think it was oct or Nov not the end of the season...;)

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

People are drawn to lights.
    Just like your eyes are drawn to the car with it's brights on.
    It is a distraction....

You only think it makes people slow down.

So if a car/truck is on the side of the road it needs cones and strobes?
    bull... If your illegaley parked then lights and cones do not change this fact.

If you are opening up entrances then I too use my amber, roof mounted lights
    (what my state allows me to run by law)

14. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i dont run my lights to "be cool" cause i feel cool enough on my fire engine blowing red lights running intersections, with air horns and sirens blaring. i do it to protect ME and MY truck not a company truck but my one and only truck. i cant afford to have a back up its my DD, Plow, Rec. truck etc etc. Amber is a universal color for caution. my truck is not a hazard. but in a snow storm i like to make sure my truck is seen. same reason a dump truck runs amber lights when its loaded going down the road, even a tow truck that runs amber with/ or without a car on the back. i do what i can to make MYSELF feel safer. i seen to many accidents where i have had to cut people out of cars becuase the driver that hit the did not see the other car. and people are dran to lights good that means they see me! and people these days are too busy on the phone, shaving, eating, etc etc that my lights being on grabs their attention and hey there is a truck stopped i better slow down. so you feel your way. i feel mine thats the wonders of USA freedom or speech. never once have been stopped by ANY cop local, county, or state for running my amber and HAW going from site to site.

15. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

...and how many cop cars, ambulances and fire trucks get rear ended??? Many. Ask and most drivers will say they were entranced by the lights. If some fool is going to tag you from the rear it's probably because they couldn't stop - regardless of your warning lights.

Run the lights all the time and they will mean nothing to everyone. As is, most laugh and do not change any action based on your lights being on.

Remember we are part of the fat, old, smoking, beer drinking, low iq crowd bent on the intention of ruining everyone's day and you think they respect us now ... keep running the lights for no reason. ( Heck Dave's BBQ shack has huge rotating ambers for their delivery trucks - wtf )

16. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

well clearly they already dont mean anything to people so whats the problem?

17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Nice man, but guess we are just a bunch of wackers with lights! I did not put lights in my truck to drive around a empty parking lot all night! So i guess if guys are doing road work on the side of the raod, they are illegal park also! Wow i hope the nj troopers have a thick ticket book! I guess to each his own, i like to be on the safe side! I have to much work to do, then to be caught up in a accident during a snow storm!

18. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

well i guess i'm just going to contine to be a tool trying to be cool with tons of lights in my truck. and to each their own but its my truck my decsion nothing anyone can say or do will change my mind. i have tinted windows is that a problem?

19. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Snofarmer why do u put ur light on when ur doing a entrance to a lot?

20. Up North

Up North Senior Member

turn the fricken lights off in between jobs. Geez, do you see cops, ambulances, or firetrucks with their lights on as they cruise around? NO. If they are out on a call or something yes, but that's the only time they run the lights.

City, county, state, and township plows run lights on the road because they are either plowing or putting down salt/sand. When they are done they turn the lights off when returning to the garage.

For most of us in this business, it's lights out unless the plow is on the ground. Some states may differ, but I'll bet most require that lights be turned off while cruising.

Buck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.