1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving for days with plow on?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by TheSkilz, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TheSkilz

TheSkilz Junior Member

I'm trying to figure the logic of driving for dsys or even weeks with plow on truck ... Now for starters i had a older 1999 f250 with a mm1 which was about 600lbs and took a few minutes to get on and off alone , now i hace a 2011 f250 with a XLS that weighs in at about 1100lbs and take me about 30 seconds to get on and off alone .But what is the point of pushing a 700-1100lb plow through the air for days on end i see it all the time ,,i don't get it ....Poor mileage,insuficent cooling . i'm sure the suspension loves it... anyone have any insight on this...
  2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

The ones that i see doing it is people that has no skin I the game, mainly school employees.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Some people have storage issues, theft concerns, lazy, and the kool factor. Just a thought
  4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

alot of guys here run them all season, mostly because taking it on and off every few days could be a pain in the butt.

mine goes on in the fall before it snows and comes off around may once it stops snowing.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

"Kool factor" plows come on off so easy nowadays.....we take two plows off as soon as its done snowing for parts runs, lunch runs, etc. I.hate driving with a plow on.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I put mine on twice this year in Chicago, once when I picked up in Milwakee and the second time was putting it is storage at work. I havent even plowed with yet.

Been in KC for the last three weeks, I can't believe how many plows I've seen. They had even less snow then Chicago
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

With my truck getting 5 mpg with the plow on I try not to drive with it on if I don't have to.
  8. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I always take mine off the day after the storm. I see guys that drive around with the plows on all season, just for show.
  9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Dang What does it get with it off

My plow is on all the time unless I'm going haul something
    Its not my daily driver during the winter time
  10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

10 to 12 mpg I get when its off
  11. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I don't like putting any unnecessary wear & tear on the trucks with plows. I keep them parked & ready to go on a moments notice.

I have a 1/2 ton PU without a plow that I use for an every day driver/work vehicle.
  12. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I don't see the need for it either.

Guys in my area mount them in sept and leave on until may.
    Plows that I know are a minute or two tops to mount/unmount.

They are still pulling their lawn trailers in the fall with them on and again in the spring before they take them off.

No way I want all that 100% unnecessary wear and tear on an expensive to repair work truck.

Just friday I saw a guy riding around with his new boss V with extensions on at full width. He looked wider than my 9' scoop plow.
    The only thing I could see was that he had to show off his shiny NEW plow.

I've seen several NEW plows this year. They have got to be loosing their shirt, which is normal for this area.
    Snow can be real hit and miss.
  13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Some are a bit more than 30 seconds to remove/attach. By "a bit more" I mean "a huge pain in the butt".

I suspect that some people do it for advertising.
  14. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

my truck isnt my daily driver as I have a company van, its not even parked at my house due to lack of space. I put my plow on about a month ago to push snow, and it has been on since. Only time it came off was to go in the shop just before the blizzard hit here last week. If there is no snow in the forecast next weekend when Im home from vacation, it will come off. If not I will just leave it on, I dont drive it much at all, if Im going out with the family I take the wifes car, so its just not worth the hassle to me
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like the guys that tow a huge covered snowmobile trailer with the plow on.

It's wicked cool
  16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

"If my truck isn't sagging in the rear, it will look like it's not overloaded. I'll fool them!"
  17. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

My 1 ton dump is only a plow truck/ salt truck through the winter so the plow just stays on. My personal pickup gets taken on and off With the storms.
  18. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

just plain ol hillbillism i guess. ball joints , brakes and fuel killer. :laughing:

Im assuming they have no storage , thats all I could come up with .
  19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think its a good American that leaves the plow on.. He is helping the economy by spreading all that hard earned $$ around to the mechanics that fix the trucks. Doing there small part at keeping the cash flowing.
  20. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

i also was thinking in that direction . stimulating the Osama Economy :mechanic: