1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving ban during a storm..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 30, 2006.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your town has one for a snowstorm do you still go out? We get them a lot but it never stopped me or any other guys for going, but every now and then some plow guy would say he didn't go out because of it. I would rather get a ticket than get behind in plowing.
    Any thoughts?
  2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I would go out as long as it was not be so dangerous where I would not come back in. ie a bad accident or something. I really don't think the cops would bother us as long as they know we are not out there joy riding. We have a job to do as well and I think they would understand that.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I was under the impression winter driving bans did not apply to those with amber lights.
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Never had a driving ban, but have had roads shut down. However, the law enforcement here does not mess with you, so long as you are there to provide a service. I acutally have had them flag me down to help wreckers that have been stuck! As far as not going to do my job, if there was one, I think I would still go. My customers depend on me, and need me so they can go about their business. I get paid to do it, so I do it. JMO
  5. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

A driving ban? lol... never heard of it. Are you joking??

Road closures I can understand, but a ban... a bit heavy handed or are the drivers so helpless...lol :eek:
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When ever they put a driving ban into effect , more people go out and drive to see how bad it is.:confused:
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Works gotta get done.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thats rediculous, I don't think that would apply to snow removal contractors. Does the town stop plowing? I highly doubt that.
  9. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I've been plowing since 1975 in Buffalo and always drove though driving bans. Have get the job done!!! I too thought snowplow vehicles were exempt, until I met a local guy that was stopped in his loader!! They told to turn around. Luckily he had a friend working in the banned area that covered for him. I didn't believe him at first but three different people confirmed his story. I wish they would keep the sightseers off the road though . I have to plow my entrances closed to keep them out of my way!!! And don't you love the customer that calls during a ban and says when are going to plow, I've got to get out. I ask where are they going with a ban on? It's always my moms for dinner, my buddys for the game, the bar to hang out, etc. etc.
  10. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I've always gone out during bans, never had a problem. At worst I think they're going to tell you to go home. I think they just do it to try to keep people off the road to get them cleared faster. We seem to get quite a few bans in Buffalo, dont we?
  11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

wtf...a driving ban!!?? are you kiddin? never heard of that in my life....never seen a road closed because of snow either, i can kinda of see how that might work but, cummon!!! prsport xysport :waving:
  12. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Move to Buffalo we get one almost every year. We don't make this stuff up.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

to me that would be the best time to plow, then you don't have to worry about traffic when traveling from client to client. i would rather drive in white conditions then be on the road with idiots.
  14. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

The driving bans are funny in some areas. You would think it would be emergency vehicles AND snow removal vehicles but it isn't in all areas. In the area where is is just emergency vehicles, how does the police, fire and ambulances get around? Do they assign plow trucks to them?
  15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Never heard of a driving ban. Closed roads and passes on occassion but never a driving ban.
  16. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

I am a firefighter in Indy and they have assigned plow trucks to each firehouse before to plow in front of us in case we had a call.

We've had driving bans here, not very often, but they've been put into place. Plow trucks did not apply.
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

We get them here from time to time- they do not apply to emergency services, essential employees or snow removal. Just like a state of emergency declairation.

It's to keep people from going to work and out and about so road crews (like us) can work.
  18. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

We've had driving bans put into effect down in the souhern tier of NY...but the cops never bothered us...hell..we bailed them out a few times by opening up a road because they couldn't get thru..so..the ban is basically for anyone who has no damn business being out there in the first place.
  19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We don't have actual driving bans here. but we have times when people are ASKED not to drive unless it is completely necessary, and we have snow emergencies, when snowmobiles are permitted on the road. I couldn't even imagine driving bans here, and I know they wouldn't apply to commercial snow and ice operators. This brings me back to one time last year when I was driving along, and saw (emergency) flashers in a bank parking lot near the end of the driveway. I then saw the flashers turn off. As I drove by, I saw it was a Sheriff Dept. Paramedic unit that was stuck.Traffic was clear, so I spun around and did a U turn. I quickly locked it down in 4 whl, and rammed into the driveway clearing a drive through the heavy stuff. One back up, and another push, and it was enough clearing that the unit was able to move. As I looked, I saw it was this little blond in it driving, and she gave me a rather appreciating smile. As she rolled out, she was right back to running hot. She must have called herself off the call, but once she was freed, she was still able to go back on in better time than any other unit. I thought that was pretty awesome! Anyway, it is times like these, that us trucks being out there are all the more helpful.xysport
  20. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Even in complete whiteout conditions ther is no driving bans here. The only reason they close the canyon or the pass is for avalanche control.