1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving around with wings on.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WIPensFan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

So yesterday and this morning I've been out doing our second event of the season here in Madison. I saw 4 different trucks with V-plows and wings attached driving around. 2 were Boss and the other 2 were Snowdogg stainless( I think ). I had to make sure and move over in my lane when one went by because it was so wide! I'm not sure the length of these plows but they looked like 9'2" Boss and not sure on the Dogs. I thought it was illegal to be that wide? This is the first I've seen this many guys with them on. Is this the norm everywhere?

2. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, it's fairly common here that you have to keep your vehicle in your own lane to avoid a collision.............:salute:

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Leave it to a Cheesehead to make a Comment like That..........:laughing:

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have my wings on my MegaV all the time.......

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

HAHAHA:laughing:

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

8'6 is the Max legal load width. We have a few chuckle heads around here who do the same....I give no extra room to them. The roads are dangerous enough with passenger vehicles, let alone guys who put wings on an already wide plow.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Everyone out my way runs down the road with wings on, and most everyone has there plows fully angled to keep the width as minimum as possible.
    Also our roads are pretty wide here with wide shoulders and run in a north/south and east/west grid. Not like like I've seen driving around back east.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If its 8'6 max legal then all them state trucks breaking there own law using them 10' plows

9. WIPensFan

Rules are different for municipal trucks.

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope so, mine is 11'. Not to mention my 9' wing.:D

11. Antlerart06

State to state probably different to I have 11' I run DOT has never said a thing or my 9.6 MVP
    I know you need a permit to haul anything over 11' wide

12. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

I saw the same thing when I was running around sun prairie and madison... They were def taking up some room. most had them in the v position at least other not so much... Thats why I like the blizzards we run. 8'6" to 11' with 2 buttons.

007.jpg

13. Antlerart06

Thats nice setup

14. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

:yow!:I drink red bull not sure how wide I run! Because I fly!

15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

As far as I remember, the old law was a max. width of 96", and when 102" became the new norm, not all states adopted it. I believe there's still a handful of states that are at 96", including MI.....

16. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I keep my wings on at all times (there tack welded on, kept rattling), Total width is like 9'8" or something close. I run with the blade angled if on the road and don't have it on unless actually plowing. I forget the angled width now...
    Been doing less commercial lots so might take em off.

My buddy has a 14' blade on his 420 cat. I have run loader with 12' and it's fun the extra 2 feet is alot. Some years they give out overwidth permits, lately they haven't though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  17. WIPensFan

Just did a little digging on width laws in WI. 8'6" is the legal width( I figured it was but wasn't 100%), but you can apply for an oversize permit for up to 12 month term if you want. I doubt anybody I saw has the permit. Reason I was wondering was for hauling my Bobcat and 10' plow around on the trailer. I can only angle it so much on the trailer, and it's beyond 8'6". Will probably just get a permit to avoid a fine or hassle. Permit let's you go 14' wide.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You're making the right move, a skid on a 96" or 102" wide trailer with the plow hanging over the deck is a big red flag unlike a pick up with a plow that exceeds the legal width. At least with a pickup there isn't a real sense of scale like a trailer.
    I got pulled over in Wyoming for speeding and the Hi Po questioned the width of my enclosed sled trailer and actually measured it. It's 101" wide so all he got me for was 78 in a 65 zone which cost me $65.00.

19. WIPensFan

You're right the 10' yellow plow on black trailer sticks out like a sore thumb.:eek: I've hauled it some short distances and even just put the plow in the dumb bed a few times as I was worried about getting pulled over. I didn't realize these permits were available. It's $90.00 for 12 month permit, but you could always just get a 5 month for just winter.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For the $90.00 a year it's a small price to pay in comparison to the several hundred dollar fine and you don't give them a opportunity to look/find anything else. Don't know what it's like back there but here they take DOT inspections serious and have no problem holding you until the problem has been resolved.