1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driving along yesterday!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blazin, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Plowing my driveways today with my new truck. Heading up the hill to the ski area at the end of my road to plow an apt. building I do. All of a sudden the left rear of my truck dropped about a foot and both my left rear tires passed me ! 7 of the 8 lug nuts were laying within 20 feet of the truck. Studs were fine, nuts were fine??? Rims egged out a touch. I have a feeling someone loosened them. The other side were a little loose too!

2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I assume you are talking about the dump you just got. That really sucks. Where I used to work they had the same truck and always had a battle keeping the lugs tight. Have to make sure you keep them torqued especially on the duallys. Although if someone did loosen them thats not to cool.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well I am surprise but my boss have 1986 or 1989 GM 3500 with dually they are pita to remove 8 or 10 lugs from that. It got almost 5 min of fight to remove with big impact wrench that are capable of 1,500 ft/lbs.

I suspect someone loose your lugs on rear tires.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

look closer

we had that issue before ,replaced the rims for about sixty apiece and problem solved.
    if you need rims try Rim and Wheel in Cinti Ohio(truck parts house).513-721-6940the rims were egged shaped because of forward/backwards movement,we had two lugs left but never lost the wheels.now that i think about it ,the studs spun inside the drum had to replace them too.so it might just be old and wore out rims,hope this helps.

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

If someone did loosen them - that is not cool. A kid had that last year around my area. Friends were pullen a prank on his new truck, thing is they did the front - ending of story - the 24 year got t-bone by a semi and pronounced dead at the scene. No one has yet to take blame.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have had problems with our dually keeping them tight. We put green arrows over the lugs so we can tell if the lugs are comming loose, at a glance. We put them on our big trucks too. You can buy them at truck shops. I really hope someone didn't loosen them.

7. Milwaukee

Wow maybe that true because my boss's gm 3500 was from Detroit of city. Well I notice right dually tires have new steel rim but left side have old rim it look ugly white.

Maybe they forgot to torque lug right tight?

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A couple years ago, I had that happen to a 3500 Chevy dually I used and had a loaded two-yard sander on it. Had the winter tires put on and 50 miles later, the driver's side duals both came off when I turned a corner. I had the repair shop analyze the situation and went to several tire places for opinions on what happened. Concensus was (after inspecting the studs and nuts) that the shop that mounted the tires over-tightened them using a torque wrench. Then the problem was compounded by the stress of having a loaded two-yard sander on them. The place where I had the tires mounted denied any responsibility, although mounting comes with a guaranty. They got out of it by saying I hadn't brought it back for adjustment within 50 miles as noted on the bill. Since the shop is 25 miles from my home, I'd have had to just drive home and back. But the problem wouldn't have been noticed, since the sander wasn't loaded until the next morning. Bottom line - I said to forget the warranty - I bought a breaker bar and socket to fit the lug nuts and checked them myself every time I got back from the day's work. The repair bill would up being over $800 plus the tow. And a wrecker won't come and haul you with a plow or sander mounted.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The very reason I have a 20 ton bottle neck jack in the truck.

And I hope I never have to use it. :)

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've had this too. ALWAYS retorque after 50 miles or so. And check them periodically.

For me, one of the best investments I ever made was a cheap set of 3/4" tools from Princess Auto. I think they were $69.99 on sale and also bought a torque wrench and impact gun. Under $300 for all of it. Makes it easy to work on the duals.

11. Rotator911

Rotator911 Junior Member

think you need to find another TOW company Mick :drinkup:

12. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

i know its not good being a lier sometimes but if i just paid $50k for a truck or whatever i would take it back to the dealer and tell em the wheels fell off? its worth a shot may look like an idiot but might save you a few hundred it sounds like.

13. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

is the truck brand new?

14. Milwaukee

15. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

If I ever caught someone doing that to any of my trucks, they'd be sorry. Someone could get hurt or even killed. I dont play around when it comes to that kinda stuff. Its just WRONG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

although this sucks, this is the exact reason MTO/DOT is so strict these days.

It's 110% your fault. Any commercial vehicle you should do a circle check every day. It's one of the first ticks in any log book. The govn't doesn't make us do this because they like paperwork.

I had this happen to one of my dump trucks. The guys called me, told me it lost the back wheels. Luckily they were at a red light and nobody was hurt. I only had to replace one rim and the studs. (which I recommend you do, or this will happen again as you reamed out the holes).

As soon as I got to the shop where I had the trucked towed I checked the log book, he had ticked off the lugs were tight and was immediately given a 2 week vacation. Same goes for the guy who changed the brakes the night before.

Harsh? Maybe, but not as harsh as it would have been had we needed to sit in court and explain to some family that their loved one was dead because it was too cold to check the lugnuts and they should be tight.

I am also to blame, I knew the brakes had just been done and should have checked everything myself.

17. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would, but up here there isn't much to choose from. The only company who could handle the truck was 25 miles away and they wouldn't come out if there is both a plow and sander on it.

19. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

sucks, my buddy has a tow company and he has towed my 550 with plow and salter mounted on multiple occasions (time for a new truck?)

Once I even had some salt left in the box.

20. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I do a visual on all my rigs, plow truck, Camry, my 55 dosn't matter. Even in the warm months. I have been working on cars, trucks, big rigs for 20 years. I always check my rigs over before I drive them. Not a fine tooth comb but a thorough visual. I was cleaning the snow off it in the morning at my girlfriends house looked down at all the wheels. You can tell if a lug is loose by the bleeding of rust or in this case aluminum sprayed outward from centrifugal force. There was nothing on the rim. I am going to have the aluminum rim tig welded and re drilled, as a new one is big bucks Alcoa. I put my spare rim from my old truck on the inside already. This spring I am going to buy two more Alcoa's, as I don't like the steel aluminum combo.