1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forgop, Dec 4, 2004.

1. forgop

forgop Junior Member

Does anyone offer to do driveways in suburban communities? Right now, I'm not to the point where I'd consider buying a truck/blade, but to start off, I thought I might get a snowblower and offer to clear driveways. What might be a typical going rate for the average driveway in these types of communities? Would $10-15/each be about the norm? Thank you.
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Hey bud, welcome to plow site.
    I would charge 20 - 25 at lest and even that might be to low.
    This is for a drive that could hold about 4-6 cars. Just my thoughts.
    any more question post-em up and we will try to help you. good luck this year. ADVERTISE! :redbounce
  3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:
    You should judge it on time. I don't go lower than $20 for driveway, but I know guys that won't drop their blade for less than $35. It also depends on the area you live and what the going rates are there
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Maybe people around here charge 15 - 40 dollars. I've seen it vary.

Depends on the person and business. Big companies charge big prices but you get the sanding and salting as well, and they will salt/sand even if it's raining during the winter (around 40 degrees F or lower).

Regular guys with pickups who have no sanders, charge the lower prices. I know a guy with a 1-ton, who does a good job, and he charges 40 dollars. He has no sander, but he will shovel it on the driveway if a customer wants him to.
  5. forgop

forgop Junior Member

I think $35 wouldn't get me very many jobs. I know it takes a while to do with a shovel, but these driveways aren't going to take very long with a snowblower. I'm only going to offer this service to communities that are within a 5 minute drive of my house, so it's not like I'll be going very far to do it. I'd probably shoot for around the neighborhood for $15 for a 2 car garage and $20 or so for a 3 car garage.

I haven't bought a snowblower yet, so any suggestions? Brand/HP/etc? Thanks again.
  6. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

That new toro with the quick shoot is nice. I would want at least a 24-28" blower and like 8hp or more
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my driveways start at 30.00
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You have to gauge the market to see where it is at in your area but it should be in the 20 to 40 buck range. On snowblowers, you might check out some of the more serious 2 cycle single stage units of up to 7hp. They ar under 80 lbs and can be lifted into a truck with little effort and will really eat snow fast with the bigger engines and they will start easily too no matter how cold it is wheich is a big plus too. I have a Ariens one and I like it better than the top end Toro single stages
  9. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I get 7.00 per drive for a sub divison with 110 drives and some street plowing But these drives take me less then 5 min ea
  10. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I stick with $40+ for any driveway. I did once have a $20 one for an old lady who's husband passed away; she gave me hot chocolate every time I came. :)

I am on the North Shore of Long Island, I am sure prices vairy widely from location to location and how often it snows.

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We do them at around $20 per driveway, around here. you can make good money when you get a bunch condensed in a tighter route, but you lose out on the salting income that you make on commercial accounts. I do a combination of the two.
  12. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Thats about $85 an hour. Think if you charged $25 per driveway like most people :drinkup: . Can you say $300 a hour :nod: .
  13. Tarkus

I have to aggree here. $7 a driveway is far too little. At least $20 at bare minimum.
  14. I know of a couple of fellows that do driveways with snowblowers in Milwaukee, WI suburbs. Most charge $20 to come plus $1 an snowfall inch for short driveway to $5 an snowfall inch for long driveways.
    Had to have one do mine when I was out of town and they did a good job.
    They are using Toro single stage machines and Simplicity and Ariens two stage blowers. Hauling them in an older full size van with ramps for loading.
    Good luck to you.
  15. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

My drives are small They may be even less then 5 min ea. I really make out on this deal all drives are right next to each other. I love it I run two trucks an atv and a john deere gator and we can finish up with the streets and all each vehical making 100 per hr or more. Yea I wish I could get what I want for them but competion is rough and making 100 per hr at 9 in the morning is great. These drives cant be plowed before 9.00 this is all of our day plowing. Next year I will get both of their other sub division one is over 200 and the other has 90 they like my work and the price is going to 10.00 per drive next year. Good luck yall
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have several driveways that take less than five minutes each. For that reason, I charge a minimum (in my case $30). But you have to make it worth it. You can't look at it as "Well, I'm in the area anyway so I can charge $7 and still make $80 an hour". What if they all cancelled except one? Then you'd be going out and to that one for $7. Now, I have made package deals for something like a development, but I make it clear that this is for all of them, including the private road. If I do that, I also submit other bids showing the individual rates for each drive (that requested a bid) and for the road seperately. But, take into consideration that all mine have conditions - they will be plowed by a certain time in order to get out for work. I start my route at 3:50AM and keep my customer list low so I can be timely to each one. I also only accept customers that I can meet their needs.
  17. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I would think these prices are still to low. You should be up in the 20-30 dollar range. Something else to consider is gas prices, being out in the weather. What if the tempature is in the teens or lower.I know you said you are just shooting for your neighborhood but using gas is still using gas. I am sure you will not be having a good time in the cold so you need to charge accordingly. Also using a snow blower is not as easy as some might think. You do work up a sweat doing it.
  18. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

It really depends on your area. Very small driveways around here are $15-$25.
    Be really careful in some cul de sacs. A lot of the people have really over extended themselves with the huge house payment. The three cars in the yard don't help either, and add the college fund.

Get good insurance no matter what. If people are over-extended and anything happens, they will remember you really quick. This applies to shrub damage too!

The best drives seem to be the older homes set off the road some. In short, they have the most need, and are usually ok with just pushing the snow in to the yard. Also, if people have been there a while they seem to be more open with you. Just my experience.

I would take 1 good out of the way drive like that vs 5 cul de sacs anyday. As long as its within reasonable distance.

And like any other service business....if you see a couple expensive cars in the yard, you will probably have to chase the money. Also, the older ladies love to give you cookies too as a treat..even if it doesn't reduce their bill. If they are there when you plow be careful---you might be their only friend and the stories go on all day!!

Good hunting! :salute:
  19. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

They cant cancel it is threw a managment company and they signed a contract for the whole year next year I will be plowing over 500 drives for them at 10.00 each plus road work plowing and salting
  20. Tarkus

The management company is smilling about this deal for sure.