1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveways with a Tractor?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dan6399, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dan6399

dan6399 Member

I recently bought a new kubota b3200 tractor/loader/backhoe. I have a few questions now. Is it legal in Massachusetts to drive the tractor in a neighborhood to houses all within a half mile? I have a strobe light for it and am planning on putting a 6' maybe up to 7' plow on it. Anyhelp would be great.

-Daniel Pepe
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Tractors are cold, slow and the loader does a lousy job. In some situations, I use my tractor but still have to go back over it with the truck.
  3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

If you can register it your all set.. if you have no registration then it is simply illegal.. If you get a OR or OC plate you could use it for that I am almost sure.. good luck with the registry..
  4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Check with the police where you will be doing the jobs. They will be the ones who will stop you (if they even care.)
  5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

If the neighborhood is 1/2 mile with houses next to each other, then yea. But traveling from house to house that are all 1/2 mile apart can be a time waster. Not to mention how you'd refuel ur machine. Also stick with the 6 foot blade length at tops. What about a blower attachment, ever thought of that? Good luck.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How fast is a B3200?

At 15mph, a 1/2 mile drive is a 2 minute drive.
  7. dan6399

dan6399 Member

The tractor goes 13 mph I believe. And they houses arnt a half mile apart they are right next to echother over a span of about 1/2 mile. Theres about 8 houses. I would put a plow blade of some sort on it and avoid using the bucket. Idont have the extra cash for the snowblower right now but it could be a possability.

8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just use your truck? if its only gonna be 8 driveways.

IMO, save the money for a slightly larger tractor purchase that would move more snow. when u really need it
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

leave the backhoe off and buy a rear blower for the tractor as it will take less time to clean up driveways-buuuut a rear back blade with and a front blower will work better. as you will be able to cut a wider path by sliding the blade left or right and then blow it out of the way.

Installing a front plow that size is not a good idea simply because the tractor will not have the power to move that much mass.

A compromise that will work well is a five foot extendable back blade and a Pronovost loader mounted snow blower with a quick attach system on the boom. www.pronovost.ca
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's only doing 8 houses, so you really think he can afford that?
  11. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Yikes! payup
  12. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Unless the peice or equipment, any peice, does not have a plate on it, then you cannot ride it on public streets also it would need to have stop lights, headlights, and blinkers, you would need to insure it on your auto policy and get registered and a plate from the Registry. Get a Contractor plate, that is the best, that way you can put it on only piece of equipment that is road worthy, ie all the lights listed above.
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try the tractor the way it is this year, Save some money and make changes for next to be more efficient.
    I would ask a cop if they will stop you when you drive on the street for snow removal only.
  14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How many horse power is it?
  15. fisherthebest

fisherthebest Junior Member

how do you list your equipment on here
  16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Go to the User CP. Grey bar at the top on the left.
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, I just got a new Big Wheel. :drinkup:
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You are always getting something new, sure your not a woman? You spend like one.:p
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Could explain why I like to sit down to pee.xysport
  20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You would make my wife very happy.:nod: