1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveways vs time?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MtlMan, Sep 8, 2005.

1. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

First a little about me: I live in Montreal/quebec/canada, I'm 24 and I have very little experience in commercial plowing. When I was in high school I used to plow with a snoblower about 5 driveways in my street and the year after my high school I plowed part time(when other guys were sick) with a gmc 2500 4x4 and it was in the country.

Some of my friends have been plowing for this big company for years, they use big tractors but each guy gets from 140 to 170 driveways.:eek: Ok the driveways are all in the same area and they are regualr simple and double driveways but I've seen some of these guys work up to 30 hours strait!

Often they work 15-20hours

Now I'm wondering how many driveways should someone take with a tractor or a 3/4 tons pick up to make sure they don't work over 12h strait unless it's the storm of the century.

2. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

with a tractor i would say about 5- 10 unless you are really brave and want to freeze your u know whats off.

truck you could probably do about 50 - 60 small and medium size drives.

All comes down to how good you are with plow.

3. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Are you saying a truck is 6 times faster! WOW I was about to buy a tractor this week to replace my slow skidsteer. BTW we have no where to push the snow so truck is out!

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

60 drives in under 10 hours easy

Bonjour,
    I suppose a lot has to do with if this is your sole income or is it a pocket change kinda thing. For me it is my income, but I have three kids, so I try not to take on so much that one complete plow trip doesn't take more than 5 hours. Its also a good idea to keep your route tight, its not worth driving 15 minutes to plow one driveway than 20 minutes to the next.

I started out by subbing a small residential account with 18 driveways. Most were just a few streets away from each other but a few were spread out. They were single car drives that went past the house than opened up a bit to the garage in the back yard. I averaged 1 1/2 hours with 3" of snow. Looking at my numbers I spent 5-8 minutes plowing the drive and getting to the next house. The outlying accounts would take me about 10 minutes to get to. And that felt like an eternity, (I would see $$ in every drive I was passing as my truck would keep sucking down the gas.)

So if you wanted to keep your plow time to under 10 hours with a truck, I don't see why you couldn't do 60 accounts easy. The trick is getting them your first/second year. Good Luck, drink coffee :nod:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  5. MtlMan

MtlMan Junior Member

Thanks alot. :)

I'm now looking at trucks, I can have a great deal on a 2003 F350 4x4(22Kcdn) but it has the V10 so with with gas prices I'll pass. One of my dad's friends promised me 20 driveways if I buy a truck...that would be great. :bluebounc