1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveways rates

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by melver78, Jan 4, 2013.

1. melver78

melver78 Junior Member

Hi guys do you what are the rates for driveways in Michigan... I been doing some driveways more than 100 ft long.. and would like to know how much do i have to charge for driveways.... I will appreciated any help thanks,,Thumbs Up

2. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

Eleventy billion. + tip

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'd say $25 is fair?

4. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Really? That just sucks.

5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

yeah i'm not sure if he was being sarcastic or not...

around here a typical driveway goes for $40-50...our drives are city drives though, just usually big enough to fit 4 vehicles or so, not 100'

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You should really leave it up to someone that knows how to manage a business properly. If you don't know what to charge to clean snow off a 100ft driveway then you should consider something else to make a living at. Wait, let me guess, you're doing it for "extra" money?

7. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I have a couple 125' drives that I do. Both are asphalt and pretty straight forward to plow, lotsa room to stack snow, etc....

$50 for each.

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Yes I was being sarcastic, looking at it now I was probably being more sarcastic than I should have been, didn't mean anything by it. I think it was just because this question comes up so often on here. But yet it is so vague that its impossible to answer.

If someone came on here and said I have a driveway that is ___ number of square feet. I have ____ truck and plow. I have _____ yearly average expenses associated with my plowing. What should I charge? Well thats a question we can all really answer.

But hey, its not like any of us never had the same question on day 1. I remember my first meeting for signing up my first ever driveway, all nervous walking into it and everything. I never thought it would all come to this, today.

With all that said, if it is only for extra money on your way driving into work, then just charge whatever you will walk away feeling satisfied with.

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Yes you need to know business costs to price it but there is also market rates too which I guess is part of business costs.

Is 50 bucks each the right price when you do 200 of them per night? We all wish.

The market price in an area that gets 20" of snow per year will probably be somewhat different than a place that gets 120" per year.

The overhead cost of the kid living with mom and dad trying to start out is just a bit different than the guy supporting a family, paying for a shop, 5 trucks and all the other misc things.

I too get disgusted with the "help me price this" posts.....

A honest answer is average driveways go for between 5 and 50 bucks per time.

There's nothing wrong with the kid living at home, everyone has to start someplace and few have capital to go balls deep in this business - they'll learn soon enough thru taxes and all the other hidden costs what the real costs are. These beginners rarely are doing the strip malls and commercial properties and are truely just nibbling away at a few crumbs left on the floor.

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't charge by the hour, but if a small town drive takes me 3-5 minutes......I'm charging $20.

11. melver78

melver78 Junior Member

did you charge $20 bucks for small driveways and in .including salt or just the romove???

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

$20.00 charge is just for plowing/removal. Around here barely anyone asks for salting, even most commercial don't want any salting.

The business's do there own on there walks and not much else.

13. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i second the amount of snowfall per year as well, that might be the biggest factor...if you get snow every 4 days then you simply can't charge as much than if you only get 4 snows a year...and to be honest, i have to disagree with the overhead and knowing your expenses to a degree...it's all about your market, you can't charge $75 for a $50 driveway and just tell the customer that you simply have more overhead, it doesn't work like that...i'm not saying it's not important to know your costs, but it's not the only factor...i mean, if you look at the driveway and say it's going to cost me $20 to do this, so if i charge $30 i'll make money on it...why wouldn't you charge a little more since the market is more around the $50 mark...it works both ways

if your overhead is more than the market then you are doing something wrong

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  14. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

While you cannot control fair market pricing, you can control your overhead and overall efficiency.

15. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Michigan seems to be cheap on a lot of snow removal pricing..... drives near me, mostly 25'-35' wide and 50 or feet long, seem to be going for $14-$20 per time....period....not xx for 2"-4.75" and then xx for 4.75" - 8" ..... and so on. One price no matter how much snow we get.
    I do my drives pretty "competitively".....but I feel I am making out pretty good, for the amount of time spend on each of them, and the fact that they are all within the development that I plow, makes them even better.

16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Although with the lack of snow in Holland, prices may just have to rise in the future. I dang near forget how to plow.

Here's to it being January 6th and not having plowed 100% of our customers yet, and the 8 day forcast showed nothing on the way. What are we supposed to average, 70"? They say we've got 9 but I'm not sure how they come up with that.

17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

you don't HAVE to charge anything!...calculate all your costs and add 20%...25-50 is and avg depending on size for per trip for a seasonal

18. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Disappointing isn't it? Had my plows on one time....didn't even have to plow the little bit we got on the north side of Holland. Oh well.....I have digging work to-do yet......

19. Daddyworbucks

Daddyworbucks Junior Member

Most east drives I say 25.00 for driveway only 35.00 with walks

20. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

.12 per sq. ft. thats what i used to charge,

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014