1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveways or commercial?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Dec 5, 2013.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Which do you perfer the most plowing and why? I do both and perfer commercial but I like doing driveways also because it's quick easy money.

2. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Commercial partly because that is what we are equipped for. I would personally rather deal with 20 commercial clients than 60 resi. And I have never gotten stuck in the parking lot at a retail center whereas people's driveways that drift can ruin a productive morning. Generally I think it depends on how you are equipped.

3. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

I take care of a lot more residential places than I do commercial... what I think commercial has going for it is the fact that you can sit behind a truck more often. I have a 24 hr. old folks home and other than the constant maintenance on the property I love how it keeps me busy. I think it is easier to take care of commercial properties because you don't have to deal with 50 customers giving you crap all the time. Salting commercial is a money maker... but I like residentials because with the equipment I have... it takes little to no time and you can make an upwards of $200 an hour if you are good.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have both but more driveways. I make more from the driveways so I like them better. But as was said drifting can be real fun sometimes. I have gotten stuck in the middle of a driveway before.

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

We do both. I run utility tractors with front mount blowers for all side walk/driveways. Bc with Kage pusher, bc with bc blower, and trucks and plows. 2 sanders . I do both enjoy the break up of clients

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mix of both, but very important to have a second day of non resident driveways to do. I like the non residents best. No pressure, no cars in the way, no packed snow, easy peezy.

7. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have both. I prefer driveways because it is quick & easy money.payup

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Commercial There more money to be made Driveways is most of the time a 1 visit after storm is over.
    Commercial lots I'll visit 3-4 times during a storm plus there could be 2 salting visits

Driveways I have, I do there Commercial lots other wise I wouldn't even have any

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I prefer driveways. I'd rather deal with a homeowner than some corporate office. There is more flexibility to getting them done, too.

10. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

All commercial less headaches

11. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

The only residentials I take are people who have used me for years and are loyal. The last few years there's been a huge increase in the people stuffing a single stage snow blower in the back of a 1993 Chevy Cavalier and charging $5 for a driveway which has run most of the legitimate businesses out of residentials. I prefer commercial anyway because once you're there, you don't have to get back on the road for a while and can just stay in the truck. There's also more maneuvering room and less hopping from address to address. This year, I'll only be taking residentials on the side if I can soak em' because they're screwed!

12. stone74

stone74 Member

I totally agree here in Winnipeg everyone and there dog does snow clearing in the winter, what keeps me going are all my loyal year round clients. I run 2 trucks with crews and laugh when I see the guy unloading his snowblower out of the back of his van or SUV (must smell great in there) I have stayed away from commercial for now, lots of money to be made doing the on call after the snow falls, they pay me way more than my client base does and they are happy to do so.

13. Roper7

Roper7 Junior Member

Commercial for me. I enjoy getting out early while everyone else is still in bed. No traffic, empty lots, low triggers, and nobody complaining that you woke them up with your plow. Get to go fast, fast equals money. And the best is seeing how much more business my customers get during the day than others, because our lots are so clean and easy for people to park and get in and out.

14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Completely agree.

15. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Commercial, tried driveways for a few years and most likely won't do them again

16. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Did 30 driveways my first year, add two parking lots last year, I cut back to 10 driveways (lawn care customers) and added 15 smaller commercial lots this year. I prefer doing parking lots over driveways.

17. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here Thumbs Up

18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

A few years ago you would have never seen that here, but now you can't drive down a street without running into them. It must drive the city plow operators nuts having them blocking un plowed streets.

19. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Residential, atleast until I get the equipment to handle commercial work, then things may change

20. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

That & them blowing all the snow onto the roadways:nono: