1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveways, if its snowing from midnight untill 5pm, do i plow morning?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trqjnky, Dec 8, 2009.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

ok, we have a storm coming in. started snowing around 10pm. have a dusting so far after an hour. now heres my question, should i plow peoples drives before they go to work, and then again after the snow stops? or do i just wait for the snow to stop before clearing driveways?
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Depends on how much snow your expecting.... I take it all of your accounts are residential? Did you tell them any "trigger" amount ??? This is how much snow you get before you plow them.
  3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

2" trigger. so i take it i should plow them in the morning, then plow again once snowing stops? expecting 10 inches
  4. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

uhh are you not suppost to get like 10 inches tonight???

YPLLLC Senior Member

Yes, You should plow in the morning before 7am and then again prior to 5pm, JMO We do this for our customers, when we actually get freaking snow!!!!!
  6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

no, we are supposed to get 1-2" tonight, and then starting tomorrow morning its gonna snow like crazy, 4" before noon, and another 3-8" afternoon accumulation.
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

If you only have a few accounts then go once at 7 AM, then every 4" get back, until it's over, then you can go do a final clean up.

Good luck this year.
  8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Do like Repoman says. Plow with the storm... If you wait until that 10 inches is on the ground, you may be in trouble and not to mention, some mad customers. Been There and Done That, except that I didn't wait. It just snowed so darn hard and I had so much area to cover, it cought up to me. The worst part is that it was a blizzard and couldn't see where I was going at times. Good Luck
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What I do with a storm like that is typically keep them open so they can get in and out, then finish up nice after it's all over. I try to visit three times, charge for two plows. Never have any problems with that.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'd definately be hitting my accounts a couple times in a 10" storm.

Basically, you should be sure to do whatever your contract saying your are going to do.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  11. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

You prolly wouldn't because you gave them a plow for free! By 7AM and 5PM is pretty industry average for places that get snow regularly.

I wouldn't go every 2 inches, kid, but like the other guy said:

Do em once, then every four or so.

You will never please everybody with the same system, so you have to feel 'em out.
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I will plow mine at least 3 times if not more because there will be ALOT of drifting with this storm
  13. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

good point Hydro. Each storm is different, too.