1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveways- Bigger is better ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by danno, Feb 2, 2006.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

What size blades are you guys running, just doing driveways ?
    I have a 7 1/2 on my Ram shortbed, but I just added Mega Scoop Wings, which bring it out to over 9 foot!

Since I`m in CT. WITH NO SNOW,:angry: just wondering is it better ?

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

We'll alot of driveways here are only 8ft wide, with some streets having 20ftx30ft drives, however quite a few are either 8ftx60ft or 8ft wide with a half circle drive.

Most guys who do the resi's around here have jeeps, or 7' 6" blades, but I have a 3/4ton and 8ft blade. It's tight at times, but thats what stakes are for :)

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Everything I do is with a 9' Fisher.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Sounds like a nice setup! With the blade angled should cut a nice path!

5. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I do some driveways that are in the 400 foot range and I like my 8 foot blade one up and one down.
    plus with an 8 footer it helps when I do have a tight spot to do.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

A driveway that I do is a flat wide 600 footer with a 7.5' Fisher. I love it, one swipe down to the right, one swipe up to the left, and a final clean up to the right on the way back up the driveway. Done in about 8 minutes.

7. danno

danno Senior Member

The one thing I think will benefit with a wide blade is, less trail off pushing out of the long driveways.
    With over 9 ft., twice, the most, should leave it sqeaky clean.

8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

driveways we have one 6'6'' 2 7'6'' and one 8' we all have at least one driveway on our list but we wouldnt go bigger the 8' to do a driveway

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Highly depends on the driveway your doing; obviousley.

Id say I could get away with a 9' plow in most of my driveways if I angled it. I do have some wide driveways where it would be nice to make one or two quick swipes with a 9' as opposed to several with a 7'6". Still there are other drives where I could not be any bigger then 7'6" and even then I need to angle fully. No concrete answer here, depends on what your doing.

I personally tend to perfer smaller plows in driveways just because I feel like I can get the plow in closer to things with out worrying too much about what is sticking out. Less out in front of me to keep track of in tight areas. Overall I find 7'6" to be the perfect fit for my driveways. My 7' is great in some of the tight driveways though.

10. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Not always, for small residential(2car wide/ 2 long) the smaller truck/plow is faster Jeeps,Rangers,Dakotas,S10 with 6.5 and 7 foot blades will plow circles around a full size truck.