1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveways - any shoveling?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kfish, Dec 1, 2005.

1. kfish

kfish Junior Member

So when you guys drive up to a typical garage and backdrag just how close are you getting to the garage door and do you ever get out and shovel any snow away from the garage door or just leave it?

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

depends on the account and how im feeling. Some people told me not to worry about it and not even to do the sidewalks because they like to shovel some. Other people want the works and get the driveway complety clean, along with sidewalks and poarchs.

And some dont care and on those ones, usually if its one of the first 15, I do it, otherwise im tired after that and say F-it.

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

as close as you can without hitting it...usually where the cement of the garage floor turns to blacktop...only leaves like 8inches to shovel

4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

They dont pay me to get out and shovel and I dont include it in my plowing.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I backdrag about 99% of it away from the door and push off to the sides. What little is left I will get out and shovel so yes.

When I first started plowing I found myself shoveling alot more then I do now just because I have gotton better at using the plow to max efficency in tight areas.

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I try to get as close to the garage as possible without hitting it. What's left isn't my problem.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I shovel it, but I also get $500 / season for a 20' x 30' driveway.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Against garage door, side walk and steps to front door, and with in 2 feet of any vehicle.

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Yes i shovel. the little extra effort goes a long way

10. SLAMllc

SLAMllc Junior Member
    from CT

I never understood why people won't shovel that little bit in front of the door. I have gotten so many accounts by other people not doing that little bit like 30 sec. more. That would be like cutting the grass but doing no string trimming around obstacles. I know my customers around here wouldn't stand for it. They paid for the driveway cleared. Not for what you feel like clearing. I personally don't see the difference in not shoveling that little bit and if they had a 15 foot wide drive and you only made one pass down the middle and told them thats good enough because they can get their car out if the stay on the cleaned part. I feel they paid for it to be cleaned so you clean it the best you can.

11. SLAMllc

SLAMllc Junior Member
    from CT

I never understood why people won't shovel that little bit in front of the door. I have gotten so many accounts by other people not doing that little bit like 30 sec. more. That would be like cutting the grass but doing no string trimming around obstacles. I know my customers around here wouldn't stand for it. They paid for the driveway cleared. Not for what you feel like clearing. I personally don't see the difference in not shoveling that little bit and if they had a 15 foot wide drive and you only made one pass down the middle and told them thats good enough because they can get their car out if the stay on the cleaned part. I feel they paid for it to be cleaned so you clean it the best you can.

12. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Right on.

[​IMG]

13. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Yes I shovel the remainder. I believe that since they are paying for snow removal,,, removal is what they should get,,,:cool:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  14. kfish

kfish Junior Member

Glad to hear the responses in favor of. So when you give them a price is it for the driveway only? Do you stay silent on the walk to the front door or do you charge additional, or just include it if they ask?

15. Raydon

Raydon Member

I have some that I shovel and others that I am not required to do. It all depends on the way I quoted the job.

16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The vast majority of the residentials are full service on the snow. I pull up on the RIGHT hand side of the drive, jump out and shovel away from the door first, so it all gets pulled out. I then do the walk and porch. The reason I pull up to the right side of the drive first, is because when I jump out, I'm not stepping in 2 ft. of snow that's in their yard. It takes some getting used to, because when I first started, I would just pull up in the driveway and jump out and start shoveling. Well, the thing with this, is that when I jumped back in the truck, I'd have to back up, then pull forward ling myself up with the edge of the driveway to pull it out. That was a wasted stroke of reverse - forward. That little bit of time adds up after awhile - not to mention the wear and tear on the tranny.
    I sure wonder what those guys with those Hinnikers have it like. With a lighter snow, I bet they can backdrag the entire length of a driveway, Two swipes out into the street and they would never have to turn the truck around. Just flip the plow and push it up on the curb. This is where back blades come in real nice, as well. Pull it all out into the street (or very end of the drive) and raise the blade while you're still moving forward to go past it just a little bit, one reverse, and the whole pile is going onto the curb or into the ditch (SOMEtimes two forwards).

17. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Depends on the customer. Thats something you'd want to talk over when giving an est. Some wont care, some want it all. So to answer the questions... yes and no. Get as close to the garage for the ones that dont and shovel for the ones that want to pay for it. payup

All_Clear

18. Spudsnowremoval

Spudsnowremoval Junior Member

Love My Hiniker

Just hung a 8' Hiniker C plow. It's Sweet. I angle the plow guides so i can pull up to the garage door until they touch. That gets me about 4" off the door. Drop it and back out to the street. Flip it and push it up on the curb. It a beautiful thing.

19. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I took a clapboard off of a customer's house dropping my blade to back drag. It was a little too close!

20. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

Remember... If you were the customer and saw a little bit of snow in front of your driveway and paid $40-$50 for a plower to come out. You would say, where is the Value.. Let your accounts WANT you to come back.. I give my customers an extra value.. Discounts available for referrals.. You get a lot of accounts from referrals.. Give your customers what you would want and expect.. :salute:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005