1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway Truck?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BuffaloBlizzard, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BuffaloBlizzard

BuffaloBlizzard Junior Member

Looking at 2004 F250 5.4 litre with offroad package, thinking about strapping a new western 8ft. 6in. or the 7ft. 6in. mvp plus on the front. I will put an artic back drag on, I have two of them now for the last three years and they work great, my question is any of you use this style truck for driveways? Otherwise i will just get another diesel was just thing of my custmoers with the noise level.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I run an 04 crew cab with a V Blade on the front and it works great for drives

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think the blade makes more noise than the diesel engine, especially compared to the new motors. I haven't heard or seen a back blade however. I just have a hinged back drag.

4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Save yourself some money and run a gasser. My customers don't pay extra if I drive a diesel so unless yours do why not. I used to run a blizzard 810 on a regular cab f-350 with the 5.4 and it would loose traction long it ran out of power. I plow small commercial , residential , subdivision streets ,and condos. Before I went back to gas trucks I had a 02 cummins and I always felt bad at 3 in the morning with that noise thing !!!
    Good luck , Shaun

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you decide to go with a Western, get at least the 8' 6" as the 7' 6" will not adequately cover the front of your truck without wings. Just realize that the truck will turn like a battleship with leaf springs up front. Ask me how I know. :D

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Mine turns just fine with a blade on the front.

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

It's not the effort of the turning that's the problem. It's the radius itself. Although I should go one step further and say this was endemic to all front leaf sprung trucks 99-04.

8. BuffaloBlizzard

BuffaloBlizzard Junior Member

Well i bought the truck, I'm having an 8'6"western mvp plus installed monday and the artic rear drag. Thanks for feed the back.

9. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Cool. Post some pictures up when you get it and good luck.

10. Nismothunder

Nismothunder Junior Member

Ah,the 5.4 3v right?I wouldnt buy anytruck with this engine in it.They have a major problem with the spark plugs that Ford put in them.Mainly,when you go to change them they break off and fall in the cylinder.Older models dont do this(97-03) but the 04-07 are known for this problem.

11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Yes, changing the plugs in the '04 - '07 5.4 liter, 3 valve motors is not for the faint of heart, but most competent mechanics have learned how to change them with relatively little drama now. There are several special tools (Lisle & Rotunda) that deal with the most common issues too. So yes, there were spark plug removal problems with these trucks, but I wouldn't let that stop someone from buying one.