1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway truck No more F-150

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stowe, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Stowe

Stowe Member

Is a F-250 F-350 with an extended cab or crew cab to big for driveways?
    The F-150 can't take plows in the 2011 or 2012 model years
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

No....makes it a little tougher, of course, but it is doable. I use a F350 CC.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

It isnt too big, but it also depends on the type of driveway.. I have an extended cab long bed F350 and I plow driveways with it a lot. I used to have a reg cab long bed and this one is two feet longer and its not too much. Ive only had one driveway that was allllmost too small for the driveway but it was still doable. where i live in new england i get a good combination of long windy drives and also short tiny ones. What size bed would you be getting? I would try and stay away from the CC long bed. but a CC shortbed or ext cab long bed is about the extent i would like to use. Also, if it is a dually that will make it that much harder
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Doable... yes.

I started plowing in 1986 with a 76 F150 Lb I plowed only driveways, bought a Jeep as backup. I used the Jeep once and sold the truck. It takes me 1/2 the time to plow with the jeep OR in the same time I can plow 2X driveways, thats more $$.
  6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Absolutely true. It would be much faster but I need a truck in the spring summer and fall months. It wasnt worth having two vehicles to me. But i am at my max now with what my trucks can handle, and i do plan on expanding my residential route in the next couple years and my dedicated residential plow rig will be a jeep set up similarly to theplowmeister's setup.
  7. IDST

IDST Senior Member

I have s 10 F350 CC short box with a Western 9'6" V and we have a dozen or so small driveways (the rest aren't a prob) Last year we got so much snow I ended up leasing another bobcat to do those driveways. No where to put snow without tearing up landscaping. Other than those it worked great. I do have a back up camera and without that sometimes those small drives are impossible
  8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It's not is the truck too big it's also is the driveway to small.

As in women, driveways come in all shapes and sizes.

You have to match up to your market. Do you do condos, apt complexs, everyone has driveways on1/4 acre or everyone has nothing smaller then 1 acre?
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Whatever you do, just stay away from the long beds, especially with a Crew Cab.

And look for an 05 or newer for the decreased turning radius on the coil front end.
  10. sbt1

sbt1 Member

So.. Eco-boost trucks

can't push a plow??
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had a Bronco II with a 6 foot standard Meyer blade. I was the driveway king! Too bad it broke parts all season long. If you could only buy a truck that small and heavy duty most of us would have one. For condo's and drives. I never met a drive I could not do!
  12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

No, has more to do with the electronic steering and other electrical components.

Talked to a snoway dealer the other day and he says that their plows are set up to not disrupt the electrical functions of the new F-150 trucks.

I think, but I can't remember, him saying something about the solenoids and how much draw they pull from the truck.

13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Theplowmeister summed it up perfectly.

You could use a loader with a 16 foot pusher box for driveways if you had to, a jeep how ever is the best option. It just makes life so much easier.
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

We have both. During a light storm, we can get away with our Jeeps but when you get heavy snow you need to have a bigger truck like a 250 and up.
    The right driver can make any truck work!
    I know a guy who plows drives in a 350 Dump!
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It is my understanding the issue is the sacrificial draw. Everyone but Snoway uses relays, modules, or whatever that particular manufacturer calls them in their headlight systems and the voltage they use is a concern.
  16. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Get a long box to carry a quad and quad plow your smaller driveways. That seems to be what others are doing.