1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveway super plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pines, Jan 25, 2004.

1. pines

pines Junior Member

Have any of you heard of the driveway super plow out of Lathan NY?

2. pines

pines Junior Member

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hmm i will have to read this

4. pines

pines Junior Member

I spoke with the owner for over an hour and he seemed very interesting. Just slide the plow into a receiving hitch. He is worth talking to. Price around $2200

5. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Ok this is probably a dumb question, but nobody (and I mean NOBODY) around here uses backblades..........how the hell do you raise, lower and angle them inside your truck? Or is there some poor soul out there freezing his gonads off:eek: adjusting it for you while you sit in the comfort of your climate controlled truck?:D

Chris

6. pines

pines Junior Member

The only control you have is up-down. He states that the weight of the snow on one end will angle the blade to that side. He states that with a little practice you can angle the blade to either side.

7. Tosh

Tosh Member

I have one.

Pines,

I bought a 7 footer towards the end of last winter. Got tired of shoveling. I live 40 minutes north of NYC and have used it a few times this winter. Hoping to get out again this Tuesday-Wednesday!

I have 250 feet of double-width driveway and do my 7 neighbors' driveways. It has worked great for me. To my untrained eye, it scrapes as clean or cleaner than the pickup front plow that used to do my driveway. I just tightened the springs to see if I get more downward pressure for even cleaner scraping.

It weighs about 375 lbs. It mounts easily if plow and vehicle are on a flat surface. It uses a Meyer E-46 hydraulic for up and down lifting. Two springs for down pressure. It swivels in response to snow resistance to shed snow to one side. It comes with a metal plow dolly. You have to install the wiring yourself, or have someone do it. I sent a $200 downpayment, received the light kit, had it installed, and then drove 2 hours up to pick up the plow. You can also have it shipped, but the cost seemed high tome.

The plow doesn't block my rear lights (ML430 SUV). I bought a cig lighter magnetic halogen light for better visibility when night plowing, plus a cig lighter magnetic amber for safety.

I looked into and almost bought the Snowman LDA 75. I went with Superplow because I could plow by pulling and in reverse. No way to stack or direct snow without pushing it in reverse. Reverse plowing actually seems to scrape the driveway a bit cleaner.

I didn't see any viable front plow options for my SUV. I guess the stress of a pull plow on my vehicle is on the hitch, and possibly the transmission if pulling/pushing extremely heavy snow. The rear suspension drops a bit with the plow on, but not too much. I drove it home from Albany at highway speeds and drive it around town on snowy days. I just try to anticipate stops since I'm carting an extra 375 lbs.

Mike Biance, the owner, is a nice guy. I'm sure that he would be glad to answer your questions. Let me know if I can give you any further info.

Tosh

8. pines

pines Junior Member

So you are using it on an SUV. I have a F-350 Turbo Diesel. I should not have a problem with power. Is the blade tip metal or rubber?

9. Tosh

Tosh Member

Pines,

It's a metal tip. If you want I can try and take some digital photos of it. It's very solid. Very thick blade.

Tosh

10. pines

pines Junior Member

Tosh,

That would be great. How close can you get to something...say a garage door when backing up. Also, why 7' versus 7.5 or 8

11. Tosh

Tosh Member

Pines,

If you're comfortable with your vehicle's dimensions and backing up, you can drop the blade right next to the garage door. The plow edge is visible from my sideview mirror, but I take the extra precaution of rolling down the window and taking a peak.

I bought a 7' blade because I didn't want any extra overhang as I drove around. Since I'm plowing just for me (and friends), I didn't need the extra width to get the job done more quickly. The smaller plow probably weighs a little less and gives me more maneuverability.

With your large p/u, you could easily handle the 8' blade.

Some other tidbits:
    The metal blade is 1/4" thick, 24" high including tip.
    No reinforcing ribs on the backside of the blade.
    There's a simple up down toggle switch mounted in your cab. You can raise the blade in increments for shaving and stacking.
    There's a safety chain to keep the blade up when transporting.
    There's a safety chain that connects to the hitch receiver.

I'll try and figure out how to post some photos.

Tosh

Tosh

12. Tosh

Tosh Member

Here's a photo. I have several and will probably have to attach one photo per reply. I hope this works.

Tosh

04-01-26 plow 001.jpg

13. Tosh

Tosh Member

Here's another photo.

04-01-26 plow 002.jpg

14. Tosh

Tosh Member

3rd photo.

04-01-26 plow 003.jpg

15. Tosh

Tosh Member

4th photo.

04-01-26 plow 004.jpg

16. pines

pines Junior Member

Thanks!! That was nice of you to do that. Do you think you could move 18"-24" of snow moving in forward or reverse?

17. Tosh

Tosh Member

5th photo.

04-01-26 plow 006.jpg

18. Tosh

Tosh Member

Pines,

I haven't had the opportunity to try that amount of snow.

To pull 24" of snow, you'd have to drive through it first. Assuming you have good traction, you might have to shear off a foot at a time. With my mid-size SUV, it would probably be a struggle if it were heavy, wet snow. I would probably get out of the house and plow at 6" if it appeared to be the wet stuff.

With your large truck, it probably wouldn't't be a traction problem, especially if you add some ballast. I think the plow blade angles enough to shed the snow before too much weight builds up.

Pushing in reverse might be easier. Your wheels would be turning on the plowed area and you might have more traction.

I'm not sure that even front plows (on pickup type vehicles) are supposed to try and tackle 24" in one gulp. The pros on this site could let you know.

The testimonials seem to indicate the Superplow can do the job in large snowfalls. But then again, they are testimonials.

Tosh

19. pines

pines Junior Member

OK Makes sense. Any concern that there are no reinforced ribs?

20. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

thats a hell of a setup ya got there. Never knew what was really involved in a backblade.....now I do :D

Chris