1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveway stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Nov 16, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know of any good web sites to order driveway stakes for cheap? HD and Menards have them for 1.78 a stake. I think Ill look around!

2. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I go to the lumber yard and get pointed lath and spray paint the tops of them. A bundle of 50 stakes, 4' in length, cost me $14.97 and a can of florescent spray paint cost about $13. I have also use flagging ribbon instead of paint, both work well.

3. LDA

LDA Member

Central Parts Warehouse has packs of 36 from .99 a stake to $2, orange or yellow fiberglass...check em out

www.centralparts.com

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  5. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

$.45 for 100 is the price, just rcv'd 200 today. Nothing special, but better then spray painting lumber sticks each Fall (which I still use).

6. clncut

Thanks guys, just ordered some from angelos, great prices! Scottish Lscape, How long did yours take to come in?

7. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

I use the painted lathe method. Works for me and inexpensive.
    The pic kind of shows, although not the best.

painted1.jpg

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Has anyone every damaged their truck on a driveway stake? Or is that why they make them out of certain materials?

I am going to do some staking this year, for the first time too. I have 3' long 1/4" diameter steel stakes for basically nothing. They are used in the grapes when the plants are young (first 2-3 years or so) so the grape-hoe gets a signal to trip and keep the small plant from being ripped out. My plan was to fog the tops of them with orange marking paint (already have 90% of a large can from another job) and tie some flagging tape to the tops as well... which I already have still from my vineyard days.

Total out of pocket cost: $0 + A little labour

I figure they may be a tad short, but by the time they get buried, I hope I will know where the driveway is by the berm...... lol

9. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

The only driveway I stake is my parent's. It winds around and is hard to find. When I put my stakes in I set them out about 3 ft from the edge of the driveway. Gives me room to pile snow between the edge of the drive and the stakes without knocking them over.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When I used to stake my driveways I always put them 12 to 15" back from where I wanted to plow. The first year I put them on the edge and with some heavy snowfalls it knocked the stakes over. If you put them all with the same set back it is easy to remember.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Clncut - I ordered a bundle of 100 last year and only took a couple of days.

Derek - Not sure how those steel stakes would do but I've run into and over those Angelo's stakes without any damage - they just bent over and pulled out of the ground. I think they're about 5/16" thick - enough for strength to push into the ground but not so strong they won't bend.

But it helps if I watch where I'm going:eek: .

12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

J-thomas has them..the red and white twisted polyurethane stakes up to 249 is 0.45 a piece. 250 to 499 they are 38 cents a piece.

They also have the normal orange ones and green too for about 36 cents a piece.

I got the flyer in the mail but they should be on www.j-thomas.com also.

14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I bought 200 from angelos. Also get a small, long drill bit that is about a foot long. Hook it up to your cordless drill and it makes putting them in REALLY easy. I have about 100 left over from the 200 I bought, and there so easy to put in I might just go put the rest in.

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I used to use the thin fiberglass ones until I got fiberglas spliners in my hand the following year. The wood lats just break if you hit them and the next year they are cheap to replace. At $14.97 for 50 plus tax, they cost me 32 cents each. I charge the homeowner 50 cents a piece for them. In the spring when I take them out, I leave them at the homes for the next season.

Some companies out here demand that the homeowner properly stake their own driveway. If it isn't staked and something gets damaged, it is not the reponsibility of the plower. That even means placing flagging tape or reflectors on garage & house overhangs, fences, ect........

16. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i dont mark any properties.

17. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

I think it took 3 days via UPS!

18. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

We do the same thing!

19. clncut

Wow, shipping was quick! One and a half days, should have ordered more though, only 4 left out of 125! :eek: Thanks for all of the advice!

John