1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway Rig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, May 31, 2009.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

:confused:

Ok sorry if this is a long post but here is my delima. I need to decide on an efficient drivway rig for a somewhat reasonable price. I have plowed for three years doing nothing but driveways with a lawn mower and a quad with a 48in blade. Last year was my best year yet with 20 steady customers and averaging 20 or more call ins per storm. I recently picked up a used one ton but even though I have only owned it for a few weeks, I have quickly relized that it is not going to be realiable enough to use. I plan on selling it for money towards something newer and probably smaller. I plan on tackleing only driveways untill I am out of high school. I was going to target small commercial, but to do a proffessional job they require 24hr supervision which I can not provide while in my last two years of high school. So what would you guys say I should look for as far as a plow and salt rig goes. I am leaing towards a 3/4ton pickup with a reg. cab and eight foot bed.

2. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Whats with the trucks listed in your profile? 3/4 is fine.

3. born2farm

The one ton listed is the one that I said I will be getting rid of. The other truck is my personal truck. It is a manual tranny and has almost 200000mi on it, so i cant see putting a plow on it this far into its life.

4. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

whats wrong with the 1 ton? lol and how much are you going to be asking for it? and is it a 4x4?

5. born2farm

well the one ton needs a lot of work. The frame is starting to rust out because it was a salt truck for 10yrs. It also needs a fuel pump and some other parts. More then likely it will be truck that will nickle and dime me. With a limited amount of time to get my driveways done I just think it would be a smart business decision to get something a little better.

6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey let me know what you want for it! I am close and might be interested.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I dont know what you have for driveways. I've done driveways for 24 years Ive used full size trucks and Jeep wranglers. I sold my truck and use jeeps. I have a helper with a full sized F250 and he can't do about 75% of my rout (I have 100 driveways) When I first went to my jeep I doubled the number of driveways I can do in the same time. The jeep is so maneuverable and I can see the both ends of the plow even when angled. For driveways smaller is better, Wrangler or bronco II or blazer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Last two years in High school? Do you even have your drivers license?

9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh,
    Wasnt this the great $500 plow truck? Hmmm

10. born2farm

well i dont know about great....i is useable but will need work which i knew

11. born2farm

hmm lets see i have had my license since beginning of december 08 so ya

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why wouldn't he?:rolleyes:

13. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

If I was you I'd go get a kubota 5740 tractor, or similar, put an inverted blower on the back and a loader/bucket on the front. Build a tight concentrated service area, smaller the better. Say bet'n yr house and the school.
    Only if it's a mile or so away and not tons farther away.
    As far as those 24/7 comm's you're worried about go, seems to me you'd check them 8 am, noon, 3pm and so on which works even if you are at school.
    Jeeps are a cheaper option and will work great also, but no stacking ability. Stacking is helpful on commercials.
    Tractor cheap to insure, up here no DL req'd, and have a 15+ yr life span.
    My jeeps all w/other drivers last bout 5-6yrs before they're dead, mind you I've always started with used jeeps so I can't complain.
    GL

14. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I put the plow on this old beast after 186,xxx miles of daily driving

[​IMG]

And replaced DD duty to this.

[​IMG]

If the truck is in decent shape maybe consider a new personal truck for your daily driver.

15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

For your situation, I'd consider a compact or midsize p/u or jeep. Something reliable. Put a 6.5 or 7' plow on it and stick to resis for now.

16. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Id have to say get another half ton or 3/4 ton. I was in your same boat a few years ago, I picked up my dads 96 dodge 2500 3/4 ton hd. with a 8' meyers. and just graduated high school this june. The truck is great for plowing, but for driveways, a 6' bed would be even better. good luck to ya!
    Aaron