1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway Rig?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

out of these options, what would you choose for most efficient driveway rig...

1.) skid w/ large bucket
    2.) skid w/ Kage
    3.) truck with hiniker C plow
    4.) truck with Pull Plow
    5.) tractor with back blade and/or bucket

our main goal with this rig would be HOA driveways, and getting to and from multiple HOA's in a timely manner...

we have 4 plow trucks, possible a 5th this year and looking to figure out the quickest way to do driveways
  2. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

oh...and a big tractor with a blower is not an option
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

out of the options you gave - #2 (2spd skid I assume?)
  4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

yes, that's an important option that was left out...2 speed for sure
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the skid/kage combo out of the choices you have given. Don't try using a bucket to clear snow from a driveway. You'll end up causing too much damage and possibly losing customers. Also I think a truck is a bad idea only because the transmission won't get adequate cooling and you'll be out not only the repair $ but also the money you could have made. Out of curiosity, why no tractor with a blower?
  6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

we do have a tractor...but, it's a john deere HST 4400 with a 430 loader on it...if i remember correctly it's only 28 HP...we put a erskine blower on it last year and it was a disaster...given, it was a wet snow but it was just way too slow and didn't throw snow worth a ****...maybe i'm not educated enough with what my options are for the tractor that i do have...it was connected via rear PTO, backing up to clear snow, not inverted

to be honest, when we bought it i felt like we had finally found a great driveway machine, but i was wrong...maybe it was the blower...if i can make a blower work with the tractor that i have then i would be all for it, but it seems like i have too small of a tractor and we wouldn't use a tractor enough to justify buying a bigger one
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

now you've got me thinking tractor with a blower...

is this the best set up, hands down? what would i need to accomplish this? does my tractor even have a chance?
  8. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

With the hydro trans you should be able to rig up a 8' wide rear blade with a rubber cutting edge to pull the snow to the street where the truck that pulls the tractor job to job can stack it after the driver is done with the sidewalks. When it gets real deep the loader will work to push the piles back with minimal damage if you have a good operator. A friend of mine does a few condo assoc. this way and seems to be very efficient.
  9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

this is exactly what we do...the blade just ended up being much faster than a blower (for this tractor) even though we had to have a truck come through every so often...we might just stick with this setup...is there a rear blade with a full trip or trip edge?

does this mean my tractor won't handle a blower?
  10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with your tractor IMO is its to small to be efficient. We run a JD 5101 with a sHoule blower incredibly efficient combo.....if you can find guys to run it (that's been our issue is lack of operators).