1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

ok, I know I am new here and I enjoy this place. I do have a question pertaining about fresh loam that was spread in a customers driveway last week. The customer used to live out of state and the rent the place out here in NH. The customer has since moved up, put up a fence (that is right in my way, I have a very small space to put snow) and put fresh loam in the driveway. Will this fresh loam freeze so I can plow? Or will I be excaving a new path? I was just in the driveway last night and I nearly got stuck and had to use 4wd (for the first time this year!!) to get out. The guy who sold it and spread it told my customer that it would not be a problem. Any ideas would be helpful
    Thank You

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

That sounds like it's going to be a mess for you.

If they just spread the loam and it hasn't been graded or compacted then I wouldn't drive on it until you talk it over in detail with the customer.

Sure, eventually it'll freeze over and if you're careful with your blade you should be able to just remove the fresh snow without tearing it up I would think.

Why would anyone loam the driveway anyway? I'd have put sand and crushed stone or just had it blacktopped. Weird situation bro, good luck on that one.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This may sound stupid, but what is loam???

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I guess you're not one of the landscapers!

Dirt my friend, pronounced loom . But, it's good quality dirt that's been screened for rocks and debris and usually put down to receive grass seed, not people driving on it!

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Twist...

Yup not a landscaping bone in me... although I did mow an apartment complex as part of a summer job as a maintenance man... hmmmm maybe I missed my calling :eek:

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I'm not going to knock the landscapers. That would go over here like a fart in church.

But, personally, I'm with you. I don't think you missed anything. From postings you've made I'm assuming you're a tradesman like myself, and that's not a bad thing. Although, I am already starting to get sick of being up on roof's burning through galvie Q decking with an oxy-acetylene torch when it's 95 out, or piping to a rooftop unit in January when even the roofers won't go up there. When you have to work for a living, no matter what it is, it's no glamour detail. I just never liked anything involving gardening, my thumb's so brown you'd think it spent a lifetime rammed where the sun don't shine.

Thank God the wife can keep my Basil alive so I can make fresh tomato sauce in the summer anyway. For a Boston Italian, that's a must :nod:

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well I am sort of a tradesman/desk jockey hybrid. My full-time job is as an engineer, but I also work for a contractor during my free time doing anything from windows, siding, roofs, etc. I would never mock any trade, they are what make the world a good place to live, with out them/us we would not have nice houses with reliable electricity, plumbing, heating, nice lawns, etc... I often tell people that the trades are the place to work in the future because lack of newcomers is creating a shortage of people in the skilled trades. Did you know that the average age for skilled carpenters is something like 42??

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

No, I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me.
    That's why I got into plumbing, I figure no matter what happens to the economy or whatever, it's something people will always have a need for. When I was younger I used to shuffle papers in an office but I couldn't stand it, being cooped up in a building with re-cycled air so when someone 3 floors down comes to work sick, everybody ends up with it.
    I know I said I was sort of getting sick of being out in the weather, but that's just when it's really bad. For the most part, I like being outside working. And in construction there's always a new set of faces and a different commute so you don't get bored.
    Had alot to do with me getting into plowing too. Outside, but not at the mercy of the weather all the time, and it's fun! You get to operate heavy expensive equipment and battle mother nature and you get paid for it. I just wish I had of done it 10 years ago. Anyway, enough rambling, good luck out there this season! :waving:

9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

All depends on the climate. Here in the interior of Alaska it would freeze as hard as concrete but on the Oregon coast it would be a mud-hole all winter. I have never been to NH so I just don't know. Does it get cold and stay cold?

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

They put loam on the driveway??? You're going to have a problem. Best thing would be to put a urethane edge on the plow. Next best would be to keep the moldboard raised off the ground an inch or so. Even then, you'll dig a groove if you have it angled. I even dig some gravel after it's frozen. If they didn't compact it, you'll have even more problems.

Putting down loam just doesn't make sense. It'll just be a mess next Spring.