1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway pricing too low

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by the05goat, Oct 17, 2013.

1. the05goat

the05goat Member

So bid a driveway today 1.5 cars wide 50ft long to garage easy pushes right of garage I quoted 45 per push every 3" she jumped on it like I was the only guy in town, am I underbidding driveways? At most it's a 10 minute job ?

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Seems good to me, so you getting $90 for 6" of snow? or you mean you plowing every 3" and charging her $45 per visit?

3. the05goat

the05goat Member

Yeah plow every 3 so 6" would be 90 and I'd plow it twice

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Sounds like a good price (for her), if you ask me. What you need to do now is to offer her a deal...

Tell her this..

"mam,

I would like to get a few of your neighbors on your block and in the area, so that the significant discount I gave you can benefit both of us. As matter of fact, for every other customer in the neighborhood that you recommend, and I actually get signed up, I'll take $10 off of your plowing job. So in essence, if you find me 5 of your friends / neighbors in the area, and I get them all, you won't pay anything for your snow removal.

Although, if I'm not charging you for your snow removal, I wouldn't mind if you baked me a couple of fresh chocolate chip cookies on the days I show up...."

5. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

You're lucky in my area a driveway that size might get you $25 per push. There are too many "beer money" plowers around here.

6. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

LOL Here Too....

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here,good luck getting a driveway for that here.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

same here prsportprsport

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like many have said, not around here. There is a guy around here who has "prices starting at 8.00" on his truck. His mowing signs say starting at 14.95......have at it! Funny though I rarely see him around working,lol

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I am doing that for $35 up to 12". But, I plow once up to 12, then twice after.
    Otherwise, I might as well sell the truck. Never get more than that here.
    Every 3 inches seems like a lot for a driveway.
    You scored.

11. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

only after a foot of snow

I just got a text message from a guy asking about clearing his lot when there is around 12 inches of snow, how much would i charge. I will have to go have a look at this. I known it is frustrating listening to so and so will do it for X, you always have to keep in mind the bottom of the food chain needs snow service too. :D

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What's this guying doing under 12"?

13. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Walking in the snow, in a winter wonderland....

14. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

This I guess

snow_angel.jpg

15. Roper7

Roper7 Junior Member

Do you include clearing the sidewalk up to the door?

16. DOUIMET20

DOUIMET20 Junior Member
    from MASS

I charge $50-$80 per driveway 1 push all 10 minute jobs , then an extra $30 per walkway/stairs . Have had all my customers for over 6 years now .

17. Roper7

Roper7 Junior Member

Wow. Sounds like great jobs for you. I'm afraid people around here would piddle themselves if they heard prices like that. Some winters in this area are so mild, they don't need any snow cleared, and the last two have been like that. And I think they get used to it. Now, with a good winter due in this area, it will be difficult to sale them on anything more than 30.

18. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

time to move to that area nomsayin

19. the05goat

the05goat Member

Seems to be working so far I've signed up 6 so far and pushed average pricing to 50$ per driveway, what are people doing with 1 truck operations this will be my first solo year not subbing, trying to get 20-25 driveways so I can gross over a 1,000 a storm. I don't want to sacrifice service so that's why I'm capping myself at 25 and grouping in a 5 mile radius.

20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Its good that you have a plan like that. Having a good service and focusing on it like you seem to be will help you get more later, more trucks, and more money if you want too! Thumbs Up:drinkup: