1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

driveway plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Baden, May 13, 2005.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

If all you were ever going to plow was drives (double wide,no more than 75'long in res.hood) with a western.Would you get 8.6'vplow,8'pro, 7.6'pro or 7.6'regular?You would be doing 15-20 drives using 2005 2500HD or would you buy 2005 chevy Z71 shortbox w/7.6'pro,average events 13-15.Average snowfall 60 inches.
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

How about none of the above. 05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a Snoway or Blizzard. Shorter wheelbase and much tighter turning radius than either of the trucks. Not to mention front and rear lockers and Dana 44's.
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  3. BASIC

BASIC Member

Tim Baden,sir,if your going to do primarily driveways,I don't think I would buy the V(I have a Fisher EZ-V),the only reason I would buy a V for driveways,is to use it to break through a packed entrance or you were doing very large ones.I would buy the 2500HD over the 1500 or the 2500,plowing is hard on a truck and I'd opt for the heavier duty package.I would buy an auto trans.I have a manual but the majority of guys seem to like the auto better.I would buy an 8' blade.I'd buy the Pro,it would give you the option of instaling factory wings at a later date and come with a back drag blade.I've only been plowing for a few years,I'm sure others will be able to give you opinions based on more experience than I.Good luck,BASIC.
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to say go with the Z71 shortbox w/7.6'pro. That is if you're absolutely sure there is no way you'll be expanding over 20 driveways - "double wide,no more than 75'long in res.hood". I'd consider this a pretty small push.

Spend the least money needed to get the job done. Put a transmission cooler on it and perhaps an auxilliary radiator fan, make sure you don't abuse it and perform regular maintenance to include oil changes (engine and transmission).

Limit your pushes to approx 6" accumulation and you should be fine for 75'.

Just remember, when you repair the front shocks, how much money you saved on the initial cost.

I like my 3500 for power, but the manueverability of the 1/2 ton is swaying me to going back to it next winter.
  5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I plowed 15 driveways 150 feet long and shorter for 10 years with 1/2 ton GMC trucks and a 7.5 blades with no issues at all. Take your time and plow with the storm if possible. From 94-99 I had a 2 door Yukon and from 99-05 was a 1500 ext cab. Both had Posi and the factory tow package with trans cooler. My reasons for just buying a 3/4 ton 2500 is because I wanted a back seat and GMC will void warranty if I put a plow on a truck without the Plow Prep Package. The 1/2 ton with this package is only available in a standard cab. I love the look of the standard cab trucks but it's not practical with kinds... The 2500 I just bought has a Diesel because the 2500 6.0 gas has 410 gears and get's only 12MPG. My new Diesel is getting over 21.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

8 foot pro blade- you want it to clear your wheels at full angle. 7'6 will do it, but you are alot more apt to get yourself stuck or have more difficulty that is simply unnecessary because of the shorter blade. The truck doesn't really matter between the 2- I like short boxs for drive's but they are not always the best choice when you're talking about long straight drives- if you get a heavy storm, say 1 inch per hour+ you have to be on top of it throughout the storm or you can get yourself into a tough spot really easily because the truck may not be able to handle it- or may not handle it well with so much snow in front of it.
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

For manuverability, the 1500 Z71 shortbox with a 7'6" would not be a bad idea. A 1500 takes a little more preventative maintaince when used to plow but they do well, especially for small driveways. If it is a possiblilty that you will be taking on more work then I would go with the 2500HD and an 8' plow. 8' is still OK for residential work, 7'6" may be a little small to cover your tracks with the 2500HD depending on cab and bed configuration. I would stay away from the V unless you plan on ever doing commercial work.
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

A 1/2 ton would work but if you think you may expand......

I would say a 2500HD with a smaller V blade and a back blade would be a very versitle rig and a good driveway rig. But that set up would be big $$$
  9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i also feel the shorter the truck the better i know that with my extended cab long box it wont happen i dont even plow myne i just blow it becuase of the hassel with my longer trucks. i also feel that wants you grow or want to work faster a back blade would be a must. the time you would save from not turning around would have to be atleast a third, you just back in drop the rear plow pull forward thin raise the blow backup and do a final push with your front blade done. i dont see how a v plow would help you on a residential drive, it ain't worth the extra maintance.
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

A V blade is a total waste for driveways- heavy (not even really suitible for a 1/2 ton truck), complicated, and functionality you don't need for drives. If you want "wings" or "Gimmicky" plow blades buy a Blizzard- at least there will be a useable function on the blade- a V is no benifit to drives.

I don't know anyone who actually considers themselves a "pro" plower and attempts driveways with a longbed xtracab........
    Those trucks are not meant for plowing- they are meant for hauling people and some tools to a site, or a slide in camper (only just because of weights) and people/family, etc. Not plowing drives.

I have little comment on a back blade- haven't used one yet, but the extra 3 feet they add behind the truck really makes me think hard before adding one. a short bed becomes a long bed+, a long bed becomes too long for over half of my customers.

a 1/2 ton will do it, and as I said the shortbox is convenient for drives, but they make a good point- if you have any intrest in expanding get the 2500 (standard cab long bed). Maintenance on any 1/2 ton used commercially can get high- keep that in mind.
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would recommend a 3/4 ton short box with at least an 8ft blade. A V blade works great for residential drives, you can move the snow more efficiently, you can scoop it and push it to where you want to stack it faster and do a cleaner job with an V blade, not to mention you can fold back the wings for those heavy snows and clear a path quickly. as for the weight difference between an straight or V blade, I prefer the heaver blade for the heavy snows.
  12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

driveway best plow

Guys, come on! Everybody knows that the world's best residential plow vehicle is a Jeep CJ 5, with a belt driven Monarch pump lifting and turning a Western 6'6" straight blade with the feet removed. You could choose any year CJ, from 1945 up to about 1994 so you get the leaf springs.

And you will be fine and do a great job, plus you can park it in an area about the size of a big snow blower or lawn tractor in your garage. And it is cute, girls love it and will follow you home in its tracks. Better than walking a puppy on the beach at sunset..... :waving:
  13. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I think everybody here thinks we're talking about hammers and not snow plows because lots of folks keep saying "bigger is better"! :drinkup:
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

This is the commercial forum not the non commercial forum- we are advising with the intent that it will be used commercially....in which case usually bigger IS better- at least from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton.
  15. cj5

cj5 Junior Member

Sorry, no belt driven pump... And it is a Meyer.

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Technically CJ's are 45-86 and YJ's are 87-95, but I'll agree with the rest of your post.
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yes, and technically 1996 and up are TJ's
  18. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Actually 97-up are TJ's, there was no 96 Wrangler just an extended run of the 95 model year. The same thing is supposed to happen again with the new redesign in 07, so the TJ's would be 97-05. :waving:
  19. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Back to your original question Tim - IMHO, if you treat your equipment easy, you can get away with a 1/2 ton truck with the standard duty 7 1/2 foot plow for driveways. Lots of folks do, and that's why GM offers a plow prep package on their half ton truck... For driveways lots of people made and still make money off of this combo.

If you are hard on equipment, or if the wider plow will fit in your accounts, or if you have plans of expanding, go with an 8 foot pro on a 3/4 ton (2500) truck.

Jeeps and smaller vehicles are great but you need to be mindful of how much snow you will get and whether you will have drifting. Higher snowfall and more drifting requires more mass to move the snow...

As for the v plow if any of your drives might have drifting problems you could make a case for needing one to bust through the drifts...

Regardless of what people say here, the RIGHT size, not size, matters. Too light duty is not good but too big is too big.
  20. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I have a 4 cylinder toyota with a 6'9" fisher. It does driveways very well and if you want to load a small blower in the back for walks its better than a Jeep. Turning isn't quite as good as a jeep, but for larger storms you can load weight in the back for more traction.

I easily push up to 14" of light snow and at least 8-10 of really wet stuff.

The only complaint so far is that snow easily rolls over the top of the blade at hifgher speeds--this is where a taller blade or snowfoil would really help.

It doesn't matter what vehicle you get as long as you use your head while operating it.

For driveways, the shorter wheelbase the better. Plowing smaller drives with a 3/4 ton is a waste of time and vehicle. You can't manuver at all, the truck is sometimes longer than the driveway, and you can't see as well around you. I used a 3/4 ton chevy for a couple years and wouldn't give you $0.50 for one if residentials are your goal.
    Get what you need. In this case, bigger isn't better in any way. Unless you're going to do small parking lots, I'd get a Jeep or a mini pickup. But thats me.