1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Driveway plow size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by YardMedic, Mar 31, 2008.

1. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Greetings! I plow primarily driveways and 2 relatively small commercial lots, and I use a 3500 SRW GMC pickup. I'm in the market for a couple plows (I am also outfitting a Tahoe with a 7.5 Fisher sometime this year) as I might upgrade the 8' I currently run to a 9'.

Question is, do any contractors like or dislike 9' plows for primarily 2-car wide driveways? I have a couple single wide drives & a couple loops, but for the most part there is what I think room to use a 9'. What are people's preferences out there?

Thanks

~Kevin

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i would not recomend anything bigger than 8.5' for a driveway. we have 2 nine foot plows and they have never seen a driveway. we use 7.5' 8' or 8.5 foot V plows on driveways. a nine footer is basically designed for non-residential plowing. i dont know anyone that uses a 9' plow on driveways. i mean if it was on a reg cab longbed 1 ton. i guess you could do it. but still that is so wide yo use in a tight area. i mean most of the driveways we plow are pretty straight so 2 passes with a 7.5' plow clears it no problem. we have one driveway that is really long and 18' wide at the thinnest point. and we send a 3/4 or 1ton with an XLS to clear it. but we end up running it at 8' near the house b/c it gets to tight.

its your call. on straight drives it wouldnt be bad but anything with sharp turn and it could be an accident waiting to happen. if you need a big plow i would recoment a 9' V or an XLS or wideout. at least with the wideout and XLS you can collpase it to 8' for drives and run 10' in lots. and a 9' V would be nice in lots and in V or scoop would be alright in drives. jmo

3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I run an 8' straight blade but wish it was a V.

4. YardMedic

Yeah, I've just been wondering if the added size would benefit any. I see what you mean about tight places, and the 8 does a decent job. Want to make an educated choice, ya know?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

80% of my accounts are residential. Started with a 7.5, then went to an 8.5. Would have went 9' if the deal on the 8.5 wouldn't have came along when it did. Wouldn't run anything smaller again. Time is money..

6. YardMedic

My feeling about hooking snow off to the left or right in most driveways is that the truck is more likely to trail off into the snow. I figured the 9' would be extending out a little farther to help avoid that.

7. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I run a 9' Fisher, an 810 and a 9' Curtis, on driveways. It all depends on the driveways you are plowing. I am intrested in a 8611 for next year, time is money! A friend runs a short wheel base F550 with a 9' fisher and does a beautiful job on stuff people have refused to do with a 7 1/2 footer.
    I have found that the agressive attack angle on the 810 can be a bit agressive on some "fragile" driveways.

8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have two 7.6 Fishers and I do mostly driveways as well as a couple of apartments and one lot and I wish with every snowfall that I had bigger blades and atleast one V. I know like the rest of you that time is money. I think a Boss 8'2 would would be a good choice for having to do residentials but I would sooner take a 8.6 Fisher and have an extra foot of width.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which is the main reason I like a large blade for residential. You dont need to have the truck mirrors in the shrubs or the tires in the landscaping to clean to the edge of the driveway, especially in the angled position. Simply allows you more "reach" without getting too close to obstructions. Plus you can do more drives in a single pass which saves extra maneuvers such as backing up or turning around for a second (or third) pass to clear the area.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

In a full size truck I like a BIG blade for drives. I like using a 9'1" vee, i used a 8'6" this year and missed the extra width.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Too many drives around me are only 8 foot wide, grass to grass. The few clients I could benifit from having a larger blade from are more then offset by the number I'd have more work and trouble from with it.

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

9' blade all the way. I used an 8' after using a 9' and it just seemed tiny.

13. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

For residentialdriveways, I would not go bigger that 8.5, 7.5 is better in my opinion.

14. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I have run 7.5's in the past. I still have an 8' for my 3/4 ton, but run a 9' on my 1 ton dump. Next year I plan to run a 9' on my 1 ton pickup.

15. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

i would go with a 8 1/2 because driways around her are between 9 and 8 and you will have to do it twice once to pull the snow and then to push it away so go with a 8 1/2 it woul mess up the grass a little but i put seed on it cost me 20 a lawn and i make up with it in comercial and res. withbig driveways.

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

My 8' straight blade works great for drives.

17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i hate doing drives:nod:

18. YardMedic

I've done driveways with a 7.5 & an 8' with relative ease. I know I'm making extra passes because of the narrower blades, so I'd been thinking the 9 might do well especially on a pickup.